Thread: Private Beta - Now Live!

Default Private Beta - Now Live!

Have at it:

http://www.gearthhacks.com/gemmo/

Only mods can see the link. Everyone else can see the page but won't have a link to download it. Be sure to view the How To Play thread that I'm building.

Still need more enemies and zones, but it's nearly complete.

I got an error in GE when I tried creating a new game as an Elf.

Off to bed now tho.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾ē̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    I got an error in GE when I tried creating a new game as an Elf.

Off to bed now tho.
    Let me know what the error is. I just reset my own account, created one as an Elf, and it seems to be working fine.

Unhappy getting this to work properly

I've downloaded this and I can see my location, along with other players. I see Atlanta but thats all that I can see. I tried clicking on shop to get a item, the shop appeared for a brief amount of time, maybe 1 minute. Then it disappeared and I can't get it to re-appear.

So now all I see are other players and thats it. What am I missing here? I seem to be stuck. Also I've not been able to move anywhere, or at least I've not been able to figure out how to move.
    I haven't seen any enemies as well. I've read the how to play and I must say it is a really brief description, or I'm just a total bonehead. I've read everything else there is to read and I still am unable to do anything what so ever. Some help or better instruction please?

I really don't want to come across as being to harsh and don't mean to be. But this is a bit frustrating to figure to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadd49 View Post
    I've downloaded this and I can see my location, along with other players. I see Atlanta but thats all that I can see. I tried clicking on shop to get a item, the shop appeared for a brief amount of time, maybe 1 minute. Then it disappeared and I can't get it to re-appear.
    If you change your view, that network link will be refreshed. Zoom in to "Sandy Springs" just north of Atlanta and you'll see the shop. You'll need to be zoomed in to within about 100 miles or so.

I seem to be stuck. Also I've not been able to move anywhere, or at least I've not been able to figure out how to move.
    You don't need to actually move your character. We had built some moving in, but it was useless. Instead, your character automatically moves when needed. If you find an enemy and wish to attack, your character moves there. If you buy something from a shop, your character moves there.

I haven't seen any enemies as well.
    Some users are finding that confusing, and I'll work on it. In the meantime, here is something I just posted in another thread:

You need to be zoomed in pretty close to see enemies. Expand the "Browse" network link, then expand the "Enemies" folder to see the results of the enemy search. It will either say "No enemies found" or "Please zoom in". You need to be zoomed to around an altitude of 95 miles.

Get it to where it says "No enemies found", rather than "please zoom in". Then, browse around at that altitude for a little while. Explore around Atlanta, but not too close (right around it has been cleaned out pretty well). Explore south Georgia, Alabama, etc. There are thousands of them around there.

I've read the how to play and I must say it is a really brief description, or I'm just a total bonehead. I've read everything else there is to read and I still am unable to do anything what so ever. Some help or better instruction please?
    I plan to expand the "How to Play" a lot more. I hope to work on it tonight for a while.

I really don't want to come across as being to harsh and don't mean to be. But this is a bit frustrating to figure to be honest.
    Don't feel like you're being harsh. If you're having a hard time, then that means we need to keep working on it. Thanks for your input!

Default Your email on GEMMO

Hey Mickey,

Thanks for the invite for GEMMO. Some feedback on your email. You said no files to download...

The beauty of this game is that it works 100% in Google Earth -- no software to download and no calls to web browsers."
    Yet later on in the email you said:

You can download the game (for free) and see some screenshots on our main GEMMO page:
    <you provided a link>

If I understand it so far, it appears you need to register, and I think thatís for these forums, then it takes you to what is supposed to be a download page. Yet thatís not all that clear..what to download? Furthermore, the ads make it even more confusing in this regard. If I get this right, it looks like I need to choose which type of character I want to be e.g.; Warrior, Mage, etc. Is this what you mean by download? or what? Do I just launch GE?

Also, for those that are not familiar with MMORPG, you might want to provide more explanation, due to the above confusion about only needing GE, etc.

Just some friendly feedback, itís all good.

Thanks and I may just give this a try.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwhodges View Post
    Some feedback on your email. You said no files to download...

Yet later on in the email you said:

<you provided a link>
    Someone else mentioned that. It was poor wording on my part.

What I meant was there was no software to download. Some Google Earth applications require you to download a separate piece of software to make it work. This only needs a simple Google Earth file -- no extra software. Again, bad wording by me.

If I understand it so far, it appears you need to register, and I think thatís for these forums, then it takes you to what is supposed to be a download page. Yet thatís not all that clear..what to download? Furthermore, the ads make it even more confusing in this regard. If I get this right, it looks like I need to choose which type of character I want to be e.g.; Warrior, Mage, etc. Is this what you mean by download? or what? Do I just launch GE?
    Sorry for the confusion.

1. Register in the forums. This is the primary registration for the entire site (file uploading, other applications, etc).
    2. Choose your character type on the GEMMO page (warrior, elf, mage).
    3. Download your KML package from the GEMMO page.
    4. Play!

I'll try to explain it a bit more clearly on the site.

Also, for those that are not familiar with MMORPG, you might want to provide more explanation, due to the above confusion about only needing GE, etc.
    Good idea.

Just some friendly feedback, itís all good.
    I really appreciate it. Any feedback to help improve the game is good.

Default Version for Linux

Looks like fun, let me know when you get a Linux version.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5229 View Post
    Looks like fun, let me know when you get a Linux version.
    As soon as the Linux version of Google Earth supports Flash, the game should work.

No idea when that might be, though...

what does the code for gemmo look like? just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Dai1337 View Post
    what does the code for gemmo look like? just curious...
    I'm not sure what you mean. From a high level, it's similar to our other apps:

- System generates a unique token code for each player.
    - That token is inserted into the URL for your custom network link.
    - The network link URL is parsed using mod_rewrite.
    - The result is that the URL passes the user id, Google Earth passes the bounding box info, and the script does the work.
    - It then passes simple placemarks and polygons back into Google Earth.

Is that what you were after?

no... i mean like in c++ you got stuff like

}
    cout << "..." << endl;
    cin >> ans;
    getch();
    }

etc.. i meant do you have to hard code it... and if so what would it look like?

PHP/MySQL

ok... i think ive heard of that... its interesting... hope to get accuanted with it.. o and while im here... is there anyway that you could possibly get the character information and put it on the forum?

EDIT: i mean at the left hand corner... under the name and posts and stuff... and it has stuff like level, crystals, and # kills, # deaths stuff like that...
    Last edited by Dai1337; 03-20-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: little too general...

Quote Originally Posted by Dai1337 View Post
    ok... i think ive heard of that... its interesting... hope to get accuanted with it.. o and while im here... is there anyway that you could possibly get the character information and put it on the forum?

EDIT: i mean at the left hand corner... under the name and posts and stuff... and it has stuff like level, crystals, and # kills, # deaths stuff like that...
    That might be kinda cool. I'll certainly consider it.