Thread: For airplane fans here

Default For airplane fans here

Almost a crashlanding of an A320 in Hamburg during storm "Emma" on Saturday. Puhhh

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Oh sh###...

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Thumbs up Almost ...

Unique video but would not be happy to be sittung in that plane
    [COLOR="Blue"][B]THE HIGHER THE BETTER ![/B][/COLOR]

I heard about that on the news, and was going to go look for the video. Thanks for putting it up here so I didn't have to go hunting for it.

In addition to GEH, I also hang out on a few aviation related forums - mostly FlyerTalk.com.

Airplanes can and do land in crosswinds all the time. It's believed that the Lufthansa flight landing in Hamburg had crosswinds of 25 knots, then a 70 knot gust hit just as the wheels were a few feet above the ground. The laws of physics state clearly that the wing pointing towards the wind is going to lift in this situation. Conversely, the opposite wing has to go down.

If you want to see some absolutely unreal crosswind landings, look at the Boeing certification tests as pilots land a 777's and a 747 - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/39256/crosswinds/

From what I can tell, the pilot was mad to try and land in such conditions, And only in todays paper did I find out that the wing actually clipped the ground. That could have been a pretty bad situtation.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

Super Moderator

The latest news from the incident is that it was the 24 year old female co-pilot who flew the plane at landing and not the captain according to the german Bundesstelle fŘr Flugunfalluntersuchung (Federal Flight accident department).

But the captain took over when it allmost crashed and he started up the plane again.

Now they are investigating why the captain did allow the co-pilot to land the plane.

The plane had 131 passengers on board and came from Munich. No one were hurt but many were in shock.

http://www.sat1.de/news/index.php?ac.../news_stories/

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GEH4EVR View Post
    From what I can tell, the pilot was mad to try and land in such conditions,
    The conditions weren't actually the problem, they should have used another runway. They got clearance for the 23, which has a "completed landing system"* and the captain acknowledged. Due to the weather conditions (storm with 11 Beaufort) and the wind direction he should have changed to the 33 (almost towards the wind). This is under investigation too.

However, the best pilots are always on the ground. We weren't in the cockpit to judge them. But my respect to the crew to keep that bird almost undamaged in the air and finally landed it safely.

*maybe McMaster can explain that better

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    If you want to see some absolutely unreal crosswind landings, look at the Boeing certification tests as pilots land a 777's and a 747 - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/39256/crosswinds/
    Must be quite a stress for the running gear...