Thread: LDS (Mormon) Meetinghouses

Default LDS (Mormon) Meetinghouses

Hello fellow geography lovers!

I would like to enlist your help in getting a KMZ I have created posted here. The KMZ is located at:

http://ldschurchmeetinghouses.googlepages.com

It is a map of approximately 6,700 meetinghouses of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, aka the LDS Church or the Mormon Church.

My request to have the file posted here has, until now, been denied, because apparently the assumption has been made that LDS meetinghouses and LDS temples are the same thing. Meetinghouses are the places where weekly services and activities are held, and there are thousands of them worldwide. Temples are very different buildings, where special ceremomnies and rituals, like marriages, for example, take place. Since there is already here a file listing LDS Temples in the US at:

http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile454...les-U.S.A..htm

it is assumed that the file I have created is a duplicate. In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth!

There are only 125 LDS temples in the entire world; one could create a KMZ file listing of LDS Temples worldwide in a day or so. What I have done is create a KMZ of almost all of the LDS meetinghouses -- not temples -- in the USA and Canada. This means that I geocoded 6,700 places, an effort that took about 4 months.

Please download the file for yourself at:

http://ldschurchmeetinghouses.googlepages.com

Once the administrator(s) of this wonderful forum realize the difference between an LDS temple and an LDS meetinghouse, I am quite certain they will welcome my KMZ file as a tremendous addition to the outstanding collection that already exists here.

I ask that you petition the administrator that my file might get added here.I just want to share my work with you all.

All the best,
    Mark Cross

Super Moderator

Hi Mark.

Welcome to GEH.

Your file was denied because of misunderstanding about the existing file.

Please remake it again and use creating via link instead of kmz.

And iof you describe the difference about Temple and meeting place. That would also help other users.

Default Thank you Sladys

Sladys,

I will follow your recommendation right away.

Thank you,
    Mark Cross,
    Eustis FL

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Moved to a more appropriate forum

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

@note4mark - that has to be the most polite, well written request to approve a denied file that I have seen since GEH started. Your file has been approved and can be found here.