Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Music

Super Moderator

First I thaught it was Jean Michel Jarre with a part of the Equinox album. It did sound lik him but it wasn't.

But by searching I found what it was:

Jeff Oster: "Saturn Calling"

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/cass...ature20080423/

Jeff Oster is an American wind instrument player who has recorded flugelhorn or trumpet with artists such as William Ackerman, founder of Windham Hill Records. He got his start in the Coral Gables Senior High School Band of Distinction playing under William "Uncle Willie" Ledue.

In 2004, Oster and Ackerman collaborated on, and Ackerman produced Oster's 4-track EP, At Last, and followed this with his CD Released in 2005. Released won the 2005 Album of the Year and Best Contemporary Instrumental Album awards at the NAR Lifestyle Music Awards presented by NewAgeReporter.com, a music airplay tracking agency. The composition At Last, co-written by Jeff Oster and Will Ackerman, and performed by Jeff Oster, Will Ackerman, Philip Aaberg and Happy Rhodes, also won the Best New Age Song award at the 2005 Independent Music Awards [1]. Also appearing on Released are Jeff Pearce (American artist), Charlie Bisharat, Philip Aaberg, Gregory Douglass, Bryan Carrigan, Taylor Barefoot, Tom "T-Bone" Wolk, Jeremy Mendicino, and Happy Rhodes.

In 2007, Ackerman produced True, which features music composed by Oster and Ackerman, Ugandan vocalist Samite, Jan Pulsford and Patrick Gorman, and guest performances from Michael Manring, Philip Aaberg, Eugene Friesen, Keith Carlock, Jan Pulsford, Patrick Gorman, Samite, Derrik Jordan, Bryan Carrigan and singers Melissa Kaplan from Splashdown, and Noah Wilding.

In December, 2007, one of the songs from "TRUE", the composition Saturn Calling, written and arranged by Jeff Oster, and mixed by Grammy winning engineers Bruce Swedien and Corin Nelsen,won the Best New Age Song award at the 2008 Independent Music Awards.[2] Listeners of the national radio program, Echoes, voted "TRUE" as its 10th place winner for The 2007 Listeners Poll, and the Echoes staff chose it as one of the 25 Essential Echoes CD's for 2007. "TRUE" won the 2007 NAR Lifestyle Music Awards for Album Of The Year and Best Contemporary Instrumental Album in March, 2008

Jeff Oster is currently working with Richard Bone to create electronic and horn creations consistent with the long line of experimental collaborations Bone is known for.

On April 23,2008, NASA and JPL added a profile of Jeff Osterand his song Saturn Calling - the first track from his CD "TRUE", to the NASA and Cassini-Huygens websites. Saturn Calling includes a sound excerpt from the Cassini spacecraft's recording of the auroras of Saturn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Oster

To buy at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/True-Jeff-Oste...lp_edpp_ttl_ex
    Last edited by sladys; 10-07-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    So, I see all these usernames, but know nothing about you people, or what you are interested in. So, what's everyone's favorite music? Feel free to post a link to like a youtube video or something...

I'll start off:
    I'm a dedicated fan of Electronic music (trance and techno in particular) and will listen to most of it (except maybe speedcore and some of the sillier subgenres). As an introduction to Electronic music, I really suggest this video:

"A Quick Guide To The Sub-Genres Of Electronic Dance Music"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebv_DPEB_WE

Description:
    Confused about what is what in EDM (aka Electronica)? I can help! This video has samples for most of the major Subgenres of Electronic Music (focusing heavily on the varieties of Trance):

Acid Trance
    Ambient Breaks
    Ambient (Chillout)
    Anthem Breaks
    Breakbeat (Breaks)
    Classic Trance
    Downbeat (Downtempo)
    Dream Trance
    Drum N Bass (DnB)
    Dutch Trance
    Electro (Electropop)
    Eurodance
    Euro-Trance (Pop Trance, Epic Trance)
    Freestyle (Dance)
    German Trance
    Goa Trance
    Happy Hardcore
    Hard House
    Hard Techno
    Hard Trance (Hard Dance)
    Hardcore
    Hardstyle
    House
    Ibiza Trance
    Jumpstyle
    Jungle
    Minimal Techno
    Neo-Trance
    Progressive Trance
    Psytrance (Psychedelic Trance)
    Tech Trance (Techno-Trance)
    Techno
    Trance
    Trancecore
    Tribal
    Uplifting Trance (Euphoric Trance, Anthem Trance)
    Rock and Roll and Grunge. Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pearl Jam