Thread: USS George Washington (CVN 73) discussion

Default USS George Washington (CVN 73) discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

USS George Washington (CVN 73)

USS George Washington (CVN 73) (callsign: WARFIGHTER) is the sixth ship in the Nimitz class of nuclear-powered supercarriers, and the fourth United States Navy ship to be named after George Washington, first President of the United States. Her contract was awarded on December 27, 1982 and she was built by Newport News Shipbuilding. The keel was laid on 25 August 1986, she was christened July 21, 1990 by then-First Lady Barbara Bush, and was commissioned 4 July 1992.

As of 2006, George Washington is homeported at NS Norfolk, Virginia.

All US Navy aircraft carriers have their hull number painted on both sides of their island structure for identification. These numbers are lighted white for visibility at night while in port. By order of Congress, George Washington's island number is outlined in red, white and blue lights in honor of her namesake's contributions to America's independence; it is the only carrier lighted in this way. General Washington had long been a proponent of a strong Navy. On 15 November 1781 he wrote, Without a decisive Naval force, we can do nothing decisive. And with it, everything honourable and decisive. These words are engraved on a plaque on the ship's quarterdeck.

Default Wrong label

I clicked the link to this in GE and the ship it shows (at least on my end) is the CVN -75 which is the Truman. The USS George Washington is the CVN-73. Does anyone have the CORRECT link for the CVN-73? I'm curious because I was on the USS GW from 02' to 07' and interested in where we were at when GE took the image. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Super Moderator

Hi civSpartan. Welcome to GEH.

Thanks for your information. I can assure you the George Washington was there in this file but lately a new image upload of GE has happened so another ship appeared.

File now moved to Outdated items.

You are welcome to find it too and make a new one. But you don't have to look at Yokosuka Naval Base, it's home base.
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 05-19-2008 at 10:21 PM.