Thread: Saving videos

Default Saving videos

If you want to save videos in Google Earth, you need to spend $400 to get the Pro version, then spend $200 more for the video export add-on. I've heard that it's really slick and works quite well, and it's probably great for a business that can make good use of it. For the rest of us, though, it's probably not worth the cost.

I've found a free program that does a pretty decent job of capturing screen video, including Google Earth. The free version limits your captures to 30 seconds, but the full upgrade is only something like $35. For most of us, 30 seconds is probably enough. Also, this program somehow knows where the Google Earth "window" is, and it doesn't capture the buttons and "My Places" and stuff - just the main Earth window.

Anyhow, check it out - www.fraps.com

I don't know the guy that runs it or anything, but I was quite impressed with the software. It's a 600K download, which is TINY for something this cool. You'll need a decent PC to run it (since it will be trying to render Google Earth stuff AND capture the video), but it should work good enough for most of us. If you need great quality video out of GE, you should probably cough up the $600 for the real tools.

Mickey

i highly reccomened this software as well. I use it for videogame captures as well. Make sure you have plenty of resources availble by closing all uneccessary programs so that you get the smoothest video possible. Also if you read the on their website you may want to use another video compression tool to make the file sizes smaller. I'd reccomend using either Divx or Xvid codecs for reducing file size in avi formats.

Quote Originally Posted by brombomb
    I'd reccomend using either Divx or Xvid codecs for reducing file size in avi formats.
    Good point. I typically use Divx, but Xvid seems to do comparably well. It saves the video using it's own propriatory codec, so you're best off using something else to get in a more standard format.

I found this info in Make magazine..

Smile

what about this freeware?
    and this is much better, but free to try
    uh?