Thread: Geocaching Network Link

Default Geocaching Network Link

Hey everyone,

I've created a Network Link that you can use to display Geocaches in Google Earth. More info here: http://andyfowler.com/journal/2005/0...-google-earth/

This is a very young little forum... I'll certainly be sticking around though! Hope this kind of message isn't considered spam.

Andy Fowler

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fowler
    I've created a Network Link that you can use to display Geocaches in Google Earth. More info here: http://andyfowler.com/journal/2005/0...-google-earth/
    That's pretty cool. However, the file you submitted won't load - it gives a "file not found" error when trying to link up. Please try to submit the .kml file again and we'll see how it goes.

This is a very young little forum... I'll certainly be sticking around though! Hope this kind of message isn't considered spam.
    Nope, your message is just fine. As long as what you offer is of value and you submit it to the file archive, I don't mind if you link to your own sites.

Mickey

Thanks - I re-added the file... Maybe I screwed something up earlier. I didn't actually upload though; I'm just using the other box to link to http://www.andyfowler.com/projects/e...earthcache.kml

I don't mind if you host the file yourself, either, it's just a pointer to the network link.

Thanks - I re-added the file... Maybe I screwed something up earlier. I didn't actually upload though; I'm just using the other box to link to http://www.andyfowler.com/projects/e...earthcache.kml

I don't mind if you host the file yourself, either, it's just a pointer to the network link.
    I still couldn't make it work, so I was heading to your site to download the file and then host it on our server. However, I then saw the issue you're having with Geocaching.com, which I assume means that there's no way I can make this file work. Blech. Such a cool use for the network link, too...

This would be awesome to interface with the geocaching.com database.
    Last edited by Tolly; 07-06-2005 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Come out and play with
    www.OUTDOORADVENTUREGROUP.org

Yep, Geocaching.com started blocking queries this afternoon. It was a very fun project, and a perfect application for network link. I'm just frustrated that it's been stopped so quickly. I've written to them and asked if there is any way to keep this thing going. I'll keep updates at my site: www.andyfowler.com

Yep, Geocaching.com started blocking queries this afternoon. It was a very fun project, and a perfect application for network link. I'm just frustrated that it's been stopped so quickly. I've written to them and asked if there is any way to keep this thing going. I'll keep updates at my site: www.andyfowler.com
    Let me know if anything changes. In the meantime, I've removed that link from our database. Given the innovation behind that link, though, I anticipate other great things from you soon.

Default Used Geocaching link

I went to your site, Andy. Downloaded it and saw caches in my neighborhood. This is gonna be cool! Thanks.

While I think live links to geocaching.com would be really cool, remember that Google Earth natively supports GPX and LOC files, so if you are a geocaching.com subscriber, you can get regular exports of all caches, new caches, etc. for a defined area delivered as a GPX file which can be loaded and displayed in Google Earth.

Today at lunch, I'm going after a couple of urban micros that I am going to try to find without my gps, just using printouts from Google Earth (left my GPS at home).

Yep! As you saw, the script is working again. I agree, for the determined Geocacher, downloading LOC/GPX files is better, but it's nice to get an overview if you are considering travelling somewhere. Also it's interesting if you want ideas on where to hide a Geocache.

Default using google earth and an overlay of locations

I would like to create a simple index of interesting locations to share with friends and family over the web, using google earth. Something similar to housingmaps.com but on a much smaller scale. Can some one point me in the right direction.
    Terry Fernandez