Thread: Russian meteorite / bombing run???

Default Russian meteorite / bombing run???

Found this and was perplexed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Two things to say:

First, indirectly, you just did me a huge favor. I just realized I can hold shift (or ctrl) and drag the screen. I used to shift/ctrl and scroll, and the dragging is so much easier. Thanks for the indirect help.

Second, nice find. First off, its not on the GEC yet (which is saying alot seeing as they have like 500,000 users), second, it looks pretty cool. Tilting the screen doesn't show any holes in the terrain, but it still looks weird.

Some stuff I've noticed about the scene:
    Holes are between 14-20 feet in diameter.
    In two somewhat parallel lines.
    The hole lines stretch a little over 1,000 feet (or .2 miles) long

Ahha, I looked around (using the GEC layer) and found this:
    http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthrea...Number/1021436

No answer to him/her yet either, but apparently there's tons of these holes around. You however found two pretty neat lines, whereas those are scattered all over.

Now, I don't actually know much (or rather anything, besides common sense) about weapons testing (for example: don't be near the target when they test) or meteorites (for example: don't be unlucky and get hit by one), so I'll leave this one to the experts (or the people who know more).

For now, I'll just give my opinion: bomb targets (seeing as there's an airbase around). I have to say it probably isn't a meteorite because the patterns (straight lines) are too improbable for a meteorite.

One last comment: if these are bomb tests, their aim is pretty bad: there's an abandoned house (looks like a target) that they completely missed...
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Hmmm... The Bumps seem to be mounds more than craters, If you compare the shadowing with the nearby mountain, the bumps are raised. But the pattern of them seems a bit to uniform to be natural. Altogether I would say that they are related to the Military Base nearby, but I don't know what caused them.

By the way SpiderX22, Where's the House nearby?
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

The house actually looks more like just the foundations..so maybe they did hit it...
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by GEH4EVR View Post
    Hmmm... The Bumps seem to be mounds more than craters, If you compare the shadowing with the nearby mountain, the bumps are raised. But the pattern of them seems a bit to uniform to be natural. Altogether I would say that they are related to the Military Base nearby, but I don't know what caused them.
    I'd have to disagree and call them craters. Look at the shadows around the area. The sun is in the south (and slightly east) in this image, and if they were mounds that would put the shadow on the north side. With the shadows on the south side of the 'things', they're depressions in the ground and not mounds.

I think aerial bombs would be a good suspect. Explosives for geologic studies or other reasons to be detonating blasts generally don't leave craters like that. You can even see some radial debris that was sprayed out from the crater in some cases. (faint pale lines) It's an interesting find.

Thanks guy's, Definitly scraching my head here. I have searching with GE since it's begining and I was so geeked to find something that noone else found at least the duel pattern thingy anyway. Maybe I'll just call the Russian military and ask them I'm sure they'll be more then helpful

Nice find by the way Spider I think you helped solve it. Im going to say bombing run's and here is more evidence backing it up. It looks as though Russia not only copied our nuclear designs but how we tested the nuke's as well! These dwellings are pretty similar other then one is round and the other is square, I belive these were used by the engineers to sit in and watch from a (what they thought was) safe distance.
    Last edited by Cr@sh; 05-02-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Default Bombing run

I would say that they are bomb craters, they are similar to ones I found in Afghanistan leading out from Tangi Kalay. 38░37'25.51"N 122░24'53.74"W

Gravity Boy

The holes are definatly there. They are round and deep and are together like a line thats straight. Kind of holy lines. I would say that 100% that there in russia. There probably great big russian holes in a line, thats what i would say. Russian, holes, line.

Don't think they are bomb craters:

The left line diverges at it's north end - sticks of bombs don't do that.

There are no signs of target matrixes

The lines are on quite a steep slope (edge of extinct volcano) - weapons ranges are in general reasonably flat.

More likely some sort of mining operation/geological survey.