Thread: Lockheed Constellation discussion

Super Moderator

Default Lockheed Constellation discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Lockheed Constellation

The Lockheed Constellation, affectionately known as the “Connie”, was a four-engine propeller-driven airliner built by Lockheed between 1943 and 1958 at its Burbank, California, USA, facility. A total of 856 aircraft were produced in four models, all distinguished by a distinctive triple-tail design and graceful, dolphin-shaped fuselage. It was used as both a civilian airliner and U.S. military air transport plane, seeing service in the Berlin Airlift and as the presidential aircraft for U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Constellation

Super Moderator

Default A ride in a "Super Connie"

I remember a ride I had in one of these in about 1965. I was with the color guard and band at the Treasure Island Navy Schools Command, and we were going somewhere to march in a parade. We went to Alameda Naval Air Station to catch our flight. We got the band and guard and all their gear and instruments loaded, and then this Chief Petty Officer (one of the last non-commissioned officer pilots in the Navy) taxied out to the end of the runway, wound the thing as tight as he could against the brakes, released the brakes and rolled almost all the way down the runway, holding it on the ground. Then he pulled back on the yoke, literally jerking the thing off the runway and hanging it on its props. I had trained and ridden in small, light aircraft, and this huge beast of a plane took off more dramatically than any of them ever had. The guy gave us a real thrill. I'll never forget that takeoff.

Paul in Carson City

Super Moderator

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your interesting story, welcome to GEH.