Thread: Hello all. What is this? WWII ghost town?

Hybrid View

Question Hello all. What is this? WWII ghost town?

This is my first post. Hello. Forgive me if I commit the usual newbie etiquette faux pas...

I found something in eastern Poland/western Belarus that totally baffles me. It looks like a "ghost town," literally...outlines of where streets and blocks may have once been, and white ghostly lines that were probably once roads. Zooming in you see sparse vegetation and what could be bomb craters.

Coordies:
    51.9464°, 23.7525°

My only thought is that this is a town or the ruins of some military installation, perhaps destroyed in World War II? Has anyone else come across this?

Any explanations appreciated.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

I would say it's a military training facility...

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

I agree, though it's hard to say for sure. Good find!

Thanks. Do you think it's an active installation? There are no buildings or facilities of any kind...it looks deserted.

Maybe a Soviet era facility that the Belarusians (Belarians? Bellatrixians? Belarese?) abandoned?

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

My guess is that it is still active. If it were abondoned the tracks were covered by grass and not that visible..

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine