Thread: Abandoned Mansion near Syracuse Amtrak line

Hybrid View

Question Abandoned Mansion near Syracuse Amtrak line

Hey guys, I travel a lot from Buffalo to Philadelphia to visit college friends, mostly by car. However, one time I decided to take an Amtrak home from Philly, to NYC, to Upstate NY, and finaly over to Buffalo.

About 5-7 minutes at probably 60+mph before I reached East Syracuse, I noticed a huge abandoned house/mansion in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. There were no roads or any other houses for as far as you could see, and the place must have been there for over a hundred years because I couldnt even see a driveway (must have been overgrown for over a century). There wasnt a town in sight, it was just a huge house in the middle of a field with a few trees growing around it and it's 1-2 sheds/barns. Im going to guess it was a little over a football field from the rail line, and about 200 yards from a forested area.

I managed to backtrack from East Syracuse on Google Earth and found something that looks very similar to this place. I tried looking up the gps coordinates but nothing turned up online. Im 99.9% sure these are the coordinates, but if not I have another set to try possibly.

Here they are: 43 04'58.88 N 75 55'47.44 W

If anyone knows anything about this place or has photos or better satellite images, let me know. I might be moving to Rochester by the end of the year and would like to hike out to this place. That is unless some gang put a meth lab in there lol.
    Last edited by sladys; 09-03-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: coordinate corrected

Angry wow

WOW! 2 months and 350+ views later and not a single response or suggestion. What a great forum! Thanks for nothing.

If anyone knows anything about this place or has photos or better satellite images, let me know
    That says it all. If people know nothing about this location or have better photos, then you probably won't get a response. Truthfully, I'd be shocked if anyone did know about this one out of the way location. Remember the people here are from all around the world.

Sorry you're upset that none of the people here have been the location, but sometimes with some locations that's just the way it is.

Found at Syracuse University Library

This was taken on June 25, 1863. On left is seen the roof of old Francis House (also called "The White House"). On right is concrete building, Greenhouse and a bit of the old "Tool" House. Taken from top of old Livery Barn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

The picture Gandolf posted is the Mansion House of the Oneida Community. A good try based on internet research alone, but I don't think that's the place drpepper is asking about because 1) it's an active museum and doesn't look at all abandoned and 2) it's nearly 30 miles further east of Syracuse then the coordinates drpepper gives.

Super Moderator

Here is a sight in BEV (Birds Eye View)

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...4375&encType=1

Quote Originally Posted by drpepper687 View Post
    Hey guys, I travel a lot from Buffalo to Philadelphia to visit college friends, mostly by car. However, one time I decided to take an Amtrak home from Philly, to NYC, to Upstate NY, and finaly over to Buffalo.

About 5-7 minutes at probably 60+mph before I reached East Syracuse, I noticed a huge abandoned house/mansion in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. There were no roads or any other houses for as far as you could see, and the place must have been there for over a hundred years because I couldnt even see a driveway (must have been overgrown for over a century). There wasnt a town in sight, it was just a huge house in the middle of a field with a few trees growing around it and it's 1-2 sheds/barns. Im going to guess it was a little over a football field from the rail line, and about 200 yards from a forested area.
    I managed to backtrack from East Syracuse on Google Earth and found something that looks very similar to this place. I tried looking up the gps coordinates but nothing turned up online. Im 99.9% sure these are the coordinates, but if not I have another set to try possibly.

Here they are: 43 04'58.88 N 75 55'47.44 W

If anyone knows anything about this place or has photos or better satellite images, let me know. I might be moving to Rochester by the end of the year and would like to hike out to this place. That is unless some gang put a meth lab in there lol.
    is this the place? http://www.flickr.com/photos/gfoster...7627685938096/

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I'm gonna say that has gotta be the place. If you look at the google image you can see the silo a ways back from the house. Totally wanna check this place out. It's only 20 minutes away from my house!

Cool Research

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Kayla Snyder View Post
    I'm gonna say that has gotta be the place. If you look at the Google image you can see the silo a ways back from the house. Totally wanna check this place out. It's only 20 minutes away from my house!
    This thread caught my attention a few days ago, so I did some internet searches on the the road, property, and area. I even came across some historical maps of the location. I don't think it would be considered a "mansion", but rather a farm house, which back in the 1900's were quite large.

My first discovery was the locations address. By simply clicking on "What's Here" on the right-click help tab on Google maps, I was able to get an approximate address:6489 Hoag Rd Kirkville, NY 13082. However, this address was inaccurate. After several hours of navigating through public record systems, I found out that I could located the REAL property through a parcel mapping program provided by NYS and Onondaga County: http://www.maphost.com/syracuse-onondaga/

All of that being said the address is: 6489 Hoag Rd Kirkville, NY 13082

My next step was finding the owners. That's easy: Tax assessment records found here: http://www.ongov.net/rpts/documents/.../RPS150T38.pdf The property belongs to the Tripoli Family.

If you want to visit the location I would recommend contacting one of the family members first.

Needless to say, the story doesn't end there. I was amazed how much I found on one small abandoned property. Last year in August, the farm barn burned to the ground. I verified the location by the overgrown silo in the picture: http://centralny.ynn.com/content/all...ounding-field/ Many times fire depts. will post pictures of the fires and the surrounding areas, so I found these: http://www.kirkvillefire.com/images....72&button=View Again we see the silo, very similar to the Google maps, and both the articles confirm the location as Hoag Rd.

One of the biggest problems for exploring this area, as mentioned before is the accessibility. Amtrak has forbidden anybody from crossing the train tracks. I accidentally hit the YouTube button when I had "Hoag Rd Kirkville" in my search bar. What do you know? This video came up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snlwjjJmjMA You can clearly see the barriers that separate someone from crossing the tracks. Although this is the shortest way, it is trespassing, which I would try to avoid.

Happy Adventures, and post any pictures if you've gone!