Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned Mansion near Syracuse Amtrak line

Question Abandoned Mansion near Syracuse Amtrak line

Hey guys, I travel a lot from Buffalo to Philadelphia to visit college friends, mostly by car. However, one time I decided to take an Amtrak home from Philly, to NYC, to Upstate NY, and finaly over to Buffalo.

About 5-7 minutes at probably 60+mph before I reached East Syracuse, I noticed a huge abandoned house/mansion in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. There were no roads or any other houses for as far as you could see, and the place must have been there for over a hundred years because I couldnt even see a driveway (must have been overgrown for over a century). There wasnt a town in sight, it was just a huge house in the middle of a field with a few trees growing around it and it's 1-2 sheds/barns. Im going to guess it was a little over a football field from the rail line, and about 200 yards from a forested area.

I managed to backtrack from East Syracuse on Google Earth and found something that looks very similar to this place. I tried looking up the gps coordinates but nothing turned up online. Im 99.9% sure these are the coordinates, but if not I have another set to try possibly.

Here they are: 43 04'58.88 N 75 55'47.44 W

If anyone knows anything about this place or has photos or better satellite images, let me know. I might be moving to Rochester by the end of the year and would like to hike out to this place. That is unless some gang put a meth lab in there lol.
    Last edited by sladys; 09-03-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: coordinate corrected

Angry wow

WOW! 2 months and 350+ views later and not a single response or suggestion. What a great forum! Thanks for nothing.

If anyone knows anything about this place or has photos or better satellite images, let me know
    That says it all. If people know nothing about this location or have better photos, then you probably won't get a response. Truthfully, I'd be shocked if anyone did know about this one out of the way location. Remember the people here are from all around the world.

Sorry you're upset that none of the people here have been the location, but sometimes with some locations that's just the way it is.

Found at Syracuse University Library

This was taken on June 25, 1863. On left is seen the roof of old Francis House (also called "The White House"). On right is concrete building, Greenhouse and a bit of the old "Tool" House. Taken from top of old Livery Barn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

The picture Gandolf posted is the Mansion House of the Oneida Community. A good try based on internet research alone, but I don't think that's the place drpepper is asking about because 1) it's an active museum and doesn't look at all abandoned and 2) it's nearly 30 miles further east of Syracuse then the coordinates drpepper gives.

Super Moderator

Here is a sight in BEV (Birds Eye View)

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...4375&encType=1

WOW! 2 months and 350+ views later and not a single response or suggestion. What a great forum! Thanks for nothing.
    make that 2,600+ views

couldn't see much from the BEV

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmorgan View Post
    make that 2,600+ views

couldn't see much from the BEV
    You have to turn on Bird's eye. Then you see it. (Sorry I forgot to mention it).

BTW. It's not only users who have looked at this thread. Also so called

spiders (Web Crawlers) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

and spambots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spambot
    Last edited by sladys; 09-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Default no use

whr on Google Earth would u find dis abandoned mansion..I dnt think so man u wil get nethg out of dis....

Default The house is still there!

to drpepper687: I have been trying to photograph abandoned structures in the Syracuse area for a few months now and came across your thread trying to find more. I was intrigued by your post and drove to the location. Unfortunately, you simply cannot get to the location by driving. CCX has essentially cut off Hoag Road at one end and the Thruway has cut it off at the other end. So not only is the house abandoned, but the entire stretch of road it is on is equally abandoned. I was able to confirm the house is still standing. You can see it through the overgrowth. I spotted it less than a week ago. From the satellite maps, it appears you may be able to hike to it if you come in from the west. I recommend getting a hiking GPS if you're going to make a go of it. feel free to contact me if you're looking for any more information.

Default Abandoned house

Wow, I haven't been here in years. Sorry about the frustration all that time ago, but when I saw this place I just had to find out what it was.

And yes, I am almost positive that is the place I was talking about (remember, it was years ago so my memory has faded). I do remember that it had a cool garage/barn to the left of the house, and that image definitely shows that.

I seem to remember it being set further back, but maybe it just looks that way from the rail line. I also seem to remember the road being more grown over than what it currently is. Also interesting to see 4-wheeler tracks going to the place, so I suppose you could visit it and not just by hiking.

This whole thing is kind of amazing. For one, it took 3 years but an answer was found. Second, you have to remember that I saw this place while riding on the Amtrak and basically found it by moving backwards on the rail line from E Syracuse without coordinates, then guessed that it was the place just from memory and from a completely different angle (birds eye). So the fact I was able to actually find this place on Google Earth and then have it confirmed years later is all pretty amazing.

I don't get out to Syracuse much, but I might be interested in taking a trip out there if anyone wants to check it out. Ricspics, did you get any photos of this place for your portfolio?

Default Abandoned

really not sure if it's haunted. I doubt it is. hoping to get out there before the summer is over, but it's a two mile hike/ride to get there. haven't had a chance to do pictures, but when I go, I'll have a camera or two with me.

6440 Hoag Rd
    Built 1900 according to 2009 tax assessment.

I would love to go climb around in it.

Quote Originally Posted by drpepper687 View Post
    Hey guys, I travel a lot from Buffalo to Philadelphia to visit college friends, mostly by car. However, one time I decided to take an Amtrak home from Philly, to NYC, to Upstate NY, and finaly over to Buffalo.

About 5-7 minutes at probably 60+mph before I reached East Syracuse, I noticed a huge abandoned house/mansion in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. There were no roads or any other houses for as far as you could see, and the place must have been there for over a hundred years because I couldnt even see a driveway (must have been overgrown for over a century). There wasnt a town in sight, it was just a huge house in the middle of a field with a few trees growing around it and it's 1-2 sheds/barns. Im going to guess it was a little over a football field from the rail line, and about 200 yards from a forested area.
    I managed to backtrack from East Syracuse on Google Earth and found something that looks very similar to this place. I tried looking up the gps coordinates but nothing turned up online. Im 99.9% sure these are the coordinates, but if not I have another set to try possibly.

Here they are: 43 04'58.88 N 75 55'47.44 W

If anyone knows anything about this place or has photos or better satellite images, let me know. I might be moving to Rochester by the end of the year and would like to hike out to this place. That is unless some gang put a meth lab in there lol.
    is this the place? http://www.flickr.com/photos/gfoster...7627685938096/

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I'm gonna say that has gotta be the place. If you look at the google image you can see the silo a ways back from the house. Totally wanna check this place out. It's only 20 minutes away from my house!