Thread: How do I program the Compass Rose Overlay?

Default How do I program the Compass Rose Overlay?

I have 4.3 and want to install a plug in and donít know how. The Compass can be viewed at http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile383...e-Overlays.htm. I have downloaded the file and even have it listed in my XP Pro program list with one option to uninstall. Is it because I have the free version or how do I embed the file ? Documentation suggests that I can cut and past the overlay but that doesnít work. What do I have to do ? jsalmon

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Sorry, but I don't understand you. The compass rose overlay is nothing but an Google Earth overlay with a picture in png-format. That is no plug-in, and it doesn't appear in the program list.

What is your goal with the compass rose?

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Default Ok Mr Thickie is in town!

Ok I've downloaded the file and it self extracted into GE on double click.

Now I want to add roses to other places but I can not find CompassRoseWhite.png anywhere on my PC. When I clicked on properties it said the overlay was stored at images/CompassRoseWhite.png but I can'nt find the directory "images". Is this something buried inside GE?

Thanks & regards
    Mr Thickie

Andy - Change the file extension of the downloaded file from kmz to zip. Then use any unzipping program and you will find two compass rose png files.

Default Sweet as

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    Andy - Change the file extension of the downloaded file from kmz to zip. Then use any unzipping program and you will find two compass rose png files.

APPLETOM YOU ARE A STAR - THANK YOU!!!

Best regards,
    Andy

Glad to be able to help. Dozens and dozens of others here would have been able to answer, I just happened to be the first to find your post.