Thread: Google Chrome!

Lightbulb Google Chrome!

Well Has anyone seen the fabulous news of Google Chrome? If not, then in Short, Google Has released their own Web Browser. In my view it's one of the cleanest looking browsers(Or even Programs) I've ever seen. As of yet it doesn't support plugins, but hopefully that will come soon. But it's still packed with very neat features, Like an "Incognito" Mode, where all your browsing history and Cookies are deleted the moment you close the window. And it has it's own taskmanager, so you can see what sort of resources it's using on your PC.

Anyway, Here's the Download Link: Google Chrome Download

And here's a very nice looking guide they put together: Guide
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

I have it, and I love it! It's got a few shortcoming (Facebook tweaks, missing GE plug-in and toolbar, etc), but overall it's phenomenal. If nothing else, it's clean and it's FAST.

Also, the Google Earth plug-in will be working in it "soon":
    http://www.digitalearthblog.com/2008...earth-plug-in/

I'm a hardcore supporter of Firefox, and have it incredibly customized, with themes and add-ons. Does Chrome have those features, and if not yet, will it eventually?
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    I'm a hardcore supporter of Firefox, and have it incredibly customized, with themes and add-ons. Does Chrome have those features, and if not yet, will it eventually?
    That's the one place it's really weak -- no themes, no plug-ins. Plug-in support is coming soon, though.

Chrome is pretty cool. But a big reason it's so fast is probably because it's so simple. My Firefox used to be really fast, but then I bogged it down with all kinds of plugins (which I now can't live without).

Until Chrome is able to duplicate all my must-have Firefox plugins, I don't see it ever being much more than a novelty. Or possibly a second browser to use for certain situations (Google Apps, etc.)
    Matt Fox

I'm not sure if I want the browser, but what is the logo supposed to be?

Seeing this doesn't make me think of Google or browser or internet or - well, it looks like some kind of toy where you would press the button or sides to make some kind of noise.

That reminds me most of a multi-colored pokeball.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by Forkboy2 View Post
    Until Chrome is able to duplicate all my must-have Firefox plugins, I don't see it ever being much more than a novelty. Or possibly a second browser to use for certain situations (Google Apps, etc.)
    I second that. Nicely said *clap* *clap*. =P
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    I'm not sure if I want the browser, but what is the logo supposed to be?

Seeing this doesn't make me think of Google or browser or internet or - well, it looks like some kind of toy where you would press the button or sides to make some kind of noise.

I agree kind of reminds me of the old toy where it lights up certain colors and you have to repeat them. I thank it was called simmon says.

as for as the browser goes, it needs to come along alot further before I switch from firefox.

I second that. Nicely said *clap* *clap*. =P
    For now. I do remember - many years ago - reading an article about, then checking out, an alternative to Yahoo! search. I wasn't real impressed with the company at that time. I wish I still had the email where a friend and I discussed Google and both of us agreed that Yahoo! was much better.

Until Chrome is able to duplicate all my must-have Firefox plugins, I don't see it ever being much more than a novelty.
    Somehow I don't see Google coming out with the Adblock Plus add-on anytime soon.

Actually, the thought of Google being in control of the browser is a bit scary. They will know more about me than I know about myself.

Super Moderator

That reminds me most of a multi-colored pokeball.
    You aren't so far away, I guess. I found this image how it might have been made.

I have now tested it too and am very impressed how fast it is. Especially for StreetView. Normally I used Explorer but I had to clear my computer very often to see an image. Not necessary anymore.
    Last edited by sladys; 09-04-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Somehow I don't see Google coming out with the Adblock Plus add-on anytime soon.
    Agree, and without it or likewise, at least in some surf situations, I would rather prefer to quit that surf...

Actually, the thought of Google being in control of the browser is a bit scary. They will know more about me than I know about myself.
    Agrees even more. The fact that Google Chrome sends everything typed in the address field to Google, NO MATTER if you actually made the search (pressed enter) or not, is approaching BIG BROTHER more than I like. It sounds like a keylogger! As you said they most likely already know more about me than me! But there is no reason to give them a free ride to access/read my (surf/online) life!!

Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post
    I have now tested it too and am very impressed how fast it is. Especially for StreetView. Normally I used Explorer but I had to clear my computer very often to see an image. Not necessary anymore.
    I tested it last week when it came out and it initially absolutely had better loading time and execution of javascript (my own and commercials). I'm firefox/mozilla user (and IE for those few sites which dont work in FF) and has for years enjoyed the levels above IE6! FF3 still better than IE7! and now wainting to try IE8... Yes, Firefox has had and have performance issues. Google Chrome is a fresh new thing, but in the first week several security issues has been reported, like 'based on backlevel framework generation' and 'drive-by-highjack'. So my advice to myself (actually I uninstalled it after the info on address field send to Google) would be to surf only on wellknown sites with GC (Google Chrome) until they get things fixed. Guess there is no chance it will ever go out of BETA!...
    Last edited by T.Dooley; 09-10-2008 at 06:30 PM.
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

Chrome is pretty cool. But a big reason it's so fast is probably because it's so simple. My Firefox used to be really fast, but then I bogged it down with all kinds of plugins (which I now can't live without).

I, too, am a hardcore Firefox user. Love all the extras. I downloaded Chrome like the second day. It looks spiffy, and all but after using it for a couple days it started crashing everytime I opened it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it from the original download. That didn't work. I deleted everything then the next day downloaded it agian. Still couldn't get it to work. Think I'll stick with the Fox.I may try it again after beta.

Quote Originally Posted by johntrim040851 View Post
    I, too, am a hardcore Firefox user. Love all the extras. I downloaded Chrome like the second day. It looks spiffy, and all but after using it for a couple days it started crashing everytime I opened it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it from the original download. That didn't work. I deleted everything then the next day downloaded it agian. Still couldn't get it to work. Think I'll stick with the Fox.I may try it again after beta.
    Interesting. While it's certainly lacking the plug-ins, and some pages have minor rendering issues, it's continued to run very well for me.

Your last sentence is kind of funny -- "after beta". Ha! Do Google products ever come out of beta?