Thread: Illegal Activities

Default Illegal Activities

People always moan and whine when Google Streetview does "illegal things", like taking pictures in zones that clearly say "Private Property." But when the StreetView car catches a crime in progress, no one cares. So, here's a thread dedicated to finding trouble caught on camera, be it running red lights, public disturbance, speeding, or whatnot, post it here.

Here's my first find: Illegal Passing.
    The sign is a European road sign which means "No Passing". Now, look at the motorcycle behind the Streetview car. Follow the road up a tiny bit and the motorcycle is now ahead of the Streetview car. Look at the images inbetween and you can see the biker passing the car inside the narrow tunnel. BAM, CRIME IN PROGRESS!
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Super Moderator

Good idea Spider.

Here is another biker passing illegal, he even cross/hit the white line which is forbidden. Just folow him southward.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=d...49533089024363

Here are two cars parking against the driving direction, There is a one way sign at the cars.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=d...74957960930975
    Last edited by sladys; 11-02-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post
    Here are two cars parking against the driving direction, There is a one way sign at the cars.
    Well, in Italy traffic signs / lights are nothing but a recommendation or good advice

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hornblower View Post
    Well, in Italy traffic signs / lights are nothing but a recommendation or good advice
    True. Or said in another way: Your own trafic rules.
    You have to see the behavior if drivers in Italy. Most used item of the car is the horn.

For my own part, I found Italian drivers to be well-mannered and more disciplined than drivers in the USA. I only drove in Verona, Vicenza, a few smaller roads such as leading to Montagnana, and on the highways between those cities and Venice as well, though. What I heard was 'Do NOT try to drive in Rome, Naples, or Milan!'

Maybe I was just lucky, heh. In Italy they made sure people knew when they were passing someone on a 2-lane road and always kept fast traffic in the fast lanes and never passed on the slow side. Here in the USA people all too frequently drive slowly in the fast lines, forcing people who want to drive more than 20mph over the speed limit to do so in the slower lanes. Virginia even has laws that make passing on the slow side legal, as long as it's done in a valid traffic lane. (not the 'shoulder' of the road, for instance)

The same can be said about Brazil.
    It happened to me some times to cross the street usingusing the zebra crossig and the traffic lights for the vehicles were red, so I was crossing the street the way law says I should, and I almost was hit. The driver even cursed me!

Here in the USA people all too frequently drive slowly in the fast lines, forcing people who want to drive more than 20mph over the speed limit to do so in the slower lanes.
    By how much do drivers have to exceed the speed limit to be considered welcome in the fast lane?

Quote Originally Posted by JavaGAR View Post
    By how much do drivers have to exceed the speed limit to be considered welcome in the fast lane?
    Depends where you are. =)

I've seen some really fast speed lanes where the average driver was going atleast 15 mph over.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Super Moderator

Here in Denmark we have high fine rates. Up to 1.200$ if you drive 100% over the speed limit, then you have to take new driving lessons and a new driving test.

And of cause some shall allways test their new car how fast they can go. The other day there was a newscast about police and speeders. One of them was a kid of 18 who just got his drivers licence 2 days before. And he was caught by trafic police, they drive without visible police sign and blue light. He was told he would get a fine of the above mentioned.

He was shocked.

And of cause some shall allways test their new car how fast they can go.
    Some of them come to Germany to do so...

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Super Moderator

Some of them come to Germany to do so...
    Yes because of our fines and you don't have a general speed limit, only a maximum recommended speed limit of 130 km/h (80.8 mph).

Here in Denmark we have a general speed limit of 130 km/h, on some the speed limit is 110, even down to 80-90 for a few ones.

80.8? Max here is 65 mph on any highway..
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

And for some guys this is still too fast

Norman R. Augustine

Yes because of our fines and you don't have a general speed limit, only a maximum recommended speed limit of 130 km/h (80.8 mph).
    Yes!!!

Last year a friend of mine from Hong Kong stayed a while in Germany. I showed her the pros of German Autobahns. She isn't used to drive by car, so the picture is a little bit shaky
    Attached Images Attached Images

Norman R. Augustine