Thread: Denied since there are other files of the area?

Default Denied since there are other files of the area?

Sorry for posting two "denied" issues - but since the reasons are quite different, I thought it would be best to split.

This reject concerns a file covering POIs of the Vatican. The Denial Reason: "Sorry, there is allready a file of the Vatican, but you can open a discussion thread with your informations. http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile8520/71-Places-in-the-Vatican.htm"

Well, there are plenty of files covering Rome, each with its own focus. Discussion is nice, sure - but if you'd take a closer look at the file I posted, you find it's containing multiple POIs with photo, opening times, public transport connection, etc. It's not a duplicate of the other one, it's a complement. As many files here complement each other. So please, what is wrong with this? I found no closer information on "complements" here (and yes, I checked the rules). Could you please explain - or consider to revoke the denial (or both)?

Best regards,
    Izzy.

P.S.: To make identification easier - the file id is 30888
    Last edited by izzysoft; 11-14-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added file id

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by izzysoft View Post

This reject concerns a file covering POIs of the Vatican. The Denial Reason: "Sorry, there is allready a file of the Vatican, but you can open a discussion thread with your informations. http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile8520/71-Places-in-the-Vatican.htm".

Well, there are plenty of files covering Rome, each with its own focus. Discussion is nice, sure - but if you'd take a closer look at the file I posted, you find it's containing multiple POIs with photo, opening times, public transport connection, etc."
    You have but you also need to add english text too because users are primarily english speaking/reading. You have only german. That concerns also you Venezia file.

It's not a duplicate of the other one
    No, but Jens' file shows the same marks and he has set all 71, you have 2 so far.We prefer files completed, but updates of completed files are welcome.

Could you please explain - or consider to revoke the denial (or both)?
    Please complete your file with english text too and it will look at it again.

Thanx for your fast reply, sladys. Reading between the lines, I assume that Jens file is entirely in English. Since I'm pretty sure there are many German users here, this would be another reason to account it a complement. And by the way, all my other files are in German, too - and they have been approved. Wouldn't it be sufficient to mention the fact in the description, and leave the file as-is?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not arguing about that one file (having just two places inside). As you can see, I'm quite new to this site, so my concern is mainly to have a real guideline I can stick to (which includes understanding your issues, of course). I know you are doing this in your spare time and don't get paid for it - so am I. The files are from my site (you might have guessed that already by the images), which is also created in my spare time. And you will understand that I cannot always afford to create a second (English) version of those files as a matter of time. As explained, I simply share them to give more people the chance to profit from it. If I know you don't like files in German (note that I'm not talking about their description here - that's out of discussion, I clearly understand this site is in English, and that's not a problem to me at all), I stop posting them here, no problem. I just want to avoid unnecessary work for both of us.

Which does not mean that Jens could adapt my POIs and include them into his file. But to be true, I found a lot of files here which I'd consider less useful - without wanting to blame anybody...

Best regards, and thanx for your help,
    Izzy.

P.S.: If you have a look at my divesite collection, ordering it by name, and check the first two entries - I guess then you have to explain again why you wanted to reject my file with the reason, another file covers it Both have the same name, and even the description seems to be the same. I could not check the content, since #62593 could not be downloaded due to some errors on the site... ("Stat failed", i.e. the file does not exist - or the permissions of the file are wrong)
    Last edited by izzysoft; 11-14-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Sladys, I think the file should be let through. Just make sure there's a label that says "Note: File in German." If need be, a category for foreign files can be created. But honestly, for big files done in foreign languages, it's really hard and time consuming to translate everything to English.

As for why some of your files in German were accepted, and some denied, it's because different mods approve different files for different reasons, and deny other files for different reasons (wow that came out bad).
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by izzysoft View Post

all my other files are in German, too - and they have been approved.
    Your other files are OK, exept the Rome file. But as you said, we just do it in our spare time and we are humans and humans make mistakes.

Wouldn't it be sufficient to mention the fact in the description, and leave the file as-is?
    Then you should mention files are only in german, updates can follow with english text too.

But for your files you only have to writ like this: Öffnungszeiten/Opening times. That's all and your file is OK.

As you can see, I'm quite new to this site, so my concern is mainly to have a real guideline I can stick to (which includes understanding your issues, of course).
    And you do a great job.

As explained, I simply share them to give more people the chance to profit from it.
    That's why the prime language here allway shall be english, you can allways add the text in german, french or whatever you like.

If I know you don't like files in German (note that I'm not talking about their description here -
    I like german files, we have a lot of german files in either english and german or only german

I stop posting them here, no problem. I just want to avoid unnecessary work for both of us.
    Please continue your great work, we appreciate it. We all began like you and didn't understand why a file was denied.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    Sladys, I think the file should be let through. Just make sure there's a label that says "Note: File in German."
    OK files approved. :-)

Sladys, Spider: Thank you for the approval first.

Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post
    Then you should mention files are only in german, updates can follow with english text too.
    Agreed - that was my mistake. Will do so in the future.

But for your files you only have to writ like this: Öffnungszeiten/Opening times. That's all and your file is OK.
    For the future, I will keep that in mind. This time I only published those files I already had on my site. On creating new files, I will take care to keep them either bilingual or completely in English. For people visiting my site, the contained information will either be "redundant", since it repeats an extract of the information contained on the pages. So I guess this will be a good compromise: For short things (like the mentioned opening times) I'll keep the information bilingual - and for longer paragraphs (as the restaurant descriptions) I'll mention the fact in the description that most information is kept in German. Will that be okay for you as well?

And you do a great job.
    Thank you! So I will continue posting my files here, based on above agreement

Please continue your great work, we appreciate it. We all began like you and didn't understand why a file was denied.
    Will do, as said above. Thanks to both of you for your explanations, help, and patience!

Best regards,
    Izzy.