Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More oil well space?

Default More oil well space?

It's almost impossible for a new guy to find space for a well in Saudi Arabia. Could the oil well space be expanded a bit?

Thanks!
    Aodhan: Lord of Guts and Glory

There's a whole lot of west Texas that is just screaming for a drillin'.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    There's a whole lot of west Texas that is just screaming for a drillin'.
    Sorry, I don't see anything there.

I meant as opposed to expanding the Saudi field. I was suggesting west Texas to Mickey.

Alaska would make a good drilling spot too.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    I meant as opposed to expanding the Saudi field. I was suggesting west Texas to Mickey.

Alaska would make a good drilling spot too.
    The only problem would be with the huge guys with tons of money buying them up before the smaller people (i.e., me) can stake out some territory. Is there a maximum limit on the oil wells you can have?

There are a few spots left in the current one if you look hard enough.

I'll wager by morning, Mickey'll have coded for bartering ability, where alliances can be built on trading good faith and loyalty for things like wells, geos, jewels, barrels, armies, troops, and more. ;-)

I think when that happens, the wealthy will be pleased to help others who will agree to work toward mutual strategic interests.

Here's a suggestion, Mickey, but I think it'll depend on a "net worth" calculus, as I suggested a while back. How about some "affirmative action" by economic class? That's what the U.S. did with homesteading, you'll recall. Land for anyone at all -- but limited. Perhaps the next few resource locations you create should likewise have quotas that will make them inviting for players who need more time to accumulate the geos they need to buy the wells, mines, or whatever.

Also, I suggest offering a free oil well to each new player -- and make it retroactive to anyone who's presently dirt poor. That's not a lot, but it'd be a bit like the Monopoly money you get when you play that game. Everyone starts with something in their pocket.

And of course, yes, the wealthy could "sponsor" newcomers with gifts or loans, buying loyalty. They hope. ;-)

To be honest, I'm not sure how best to balance it. With the current system, all of the existing wells will be gone within 60 days - some as soon as tomorrow. If you hunt often, you'll find the holes as they open up.

As it stands right now, there are 145 wells out there, with very little (if any) room left.

Objectively, should I allow it to hold more wells? Or should people have to be on their toes from now on? I'll be adding other ways to gain money very soon, so that might help spread things out a bit.

I'm not sure if I'll add other oil fields (which would require some script rewriting) or if I'll just go ahead and add new resources in different parts of the world.

I currently count 7 open oil spots if people would just look hard enough.

Dang, I started with one idea (affirmative action) in that paragraph, and then switched gears entirely. I guess I returned to it with "a free well for every new baby born in Earth," but my principal suggestion, I guess, is the quota approach to wells. So many per day per player, at a maximum -- that kind of thing.

I dunno. I see peril there, too. But at present, the situation certainly does favor the rich. Realistically that's normal in the world, and I think the driving forces of greed and, where it exists, altruism, should be allowed to play out. However, if poverty is allowed, there should be consequences to the rich. The natives are getting restless! Something. Hmmm.

cheakerdoodels, I've just adopted a policy of attacking anyone who posts immediately prior to me. That policy may change by morning, but there you have it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual
    However, if poverty is allowed, there should be consequences to the rich.
    The easy answer there is taxes/upkeep. On armies, on troops, on cities (or their value), on wells, on what?

I'm inclined to say armies and/or troops, so that people are less likely to sit back and horde them. Not sure yet, though.

Aw man you suck rasqual and I posted two minutes before you. You double posted that's worse then what I did.

P.S. I now count 12

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual
    I'll wager by morning, Mickey'll have coded for bartering ability, where alliances can be built on trading good faith and loyalty for things like wells, geos, jewels, barrels, armies, troops, and more.
    Not tonight. I've been running on 4 hours of sleep a night this week, and it's catching up with me. Maybe soon, though.

That's not a lot, but it'd be a bit like the Monopoly money you get when you play that game. Everyone starts with something in their pocket.
    Presently, everyone starts with 3 armies at their base, 10 jewels, 20 barrels of oil and 5 Geos. Not a lot, but enough to get their feet wet.

Earning jewels is dead simple (although boring) and unlimited. Coming up with enough money to purchase a well shouldn't be a big deal. The issue now is finding a place to buy a well.

Hey Mickey I wondered if you could give people the option of either getting oil how we currently do or get it all in one lump sum every day. It just bugs me how it is now.

Oh yeah I don't know how people can't find space I now count 17.