Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge Street View update

Default Huge Street View update

Coverage in the United Stated has grown dramatically. Much of the added coverage is on the major highways, but quite a few smaller State and even County highways are added. It looks like almost every continental State has some additional images on the highways.

Right now the update seems to be limited to the United States Street View images.

Wow I found my house and truck.

er : cave and horse.
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

Super Moderator

Australia has been updated too.

Super Moderator

New StreetView-updates have been updated:

Netherlands, UK, France, Spain and Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post
    New StreetView-updates have been updated:

Netherlands, UK, France, Spain and Italy.
    =D

Finally, something to do while on break.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Seems parts of the US were updated too (many files no longer showing what they say).
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Super Moderator

Switzerland: Bern, Zürich, Basel, Lausanne, Geneva, Neuchâtel, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Bienne, Lyss, Winterthur, Wettingen, Luzern, Thun, Vevey, Montreux, and more rural areas

Portugal: Lisbon, Loures, Almada, Barreiro, Montijo, Seixal, Porto, Matosinhos, Vila Nova de Gaia and more rural areas

Taiwan: Taipei Metropolian Area

Italy: Aosta, Domodossola and more rural areas

USA: LEGOLAND California, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, San Diego State University, Thunderhill Raceway Park
    Last edited by sladys; 08-19-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post
    USA: LEGOLAND California
    When viewing here, your pegman changes to a Legoman.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Super Moderator

Default StreetView maybe offline soon in Switzerland

BERN, Switzerland — A Swiss government official is demanding that Google Inc. immediately take off the Internet any "Street View" images of Switzerland, and the company said Monday it would work to resolve problems with the privacy rights regulator.

Hanspeter Thuer, Switzerland's federal data protection commissioner, said Google's pictures were violating Switzerland's strict privacy laws by failing to obscure people's identities on the mapping service, which offers detailed street-level images.

"Numerous faces and license numbers weren't blurred or were done so inadequately," said Thuer's statement, adding that he "demands that Google Inc. immediately take its Google Street View online service off the Internet" until it can ensure that public images respect Swiss law.

Since launching in 2007, Street View has expanded to more than 100 cities worldwide but has faced privacy complaints from many individuals and institutions that have been photographed.

Greece's Data Protection Authority rejected Google's bid earlier this year to roam Greek streets with cameras mounted on vehicles, while the Pentagon barred Google from photographing U.S. military bases for the service.

Residents of a small English village formed a human chain in April to stop one of Google's camera vans, while in Japan some complained that the service provided a view over the fences around their homes, prompting Google to agree to re-shoot all photos in the country.

Thuer met with Google on Monday, and his office said a number of questions remained open.

Google said in a statement it would hold further discussions to "demonstrate our industry-leading applications for protecting the private sphere."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_267232.html

Super Moderator

Default New huge StreetView update

This time the USA and Japan was expanded.

Furtheron Montreal, Toronto, Quebec (Can) and Prague (and surrounding) Czech Republic.
    Last edited by sladys; 10-07-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Yup, the US update was massive. Lots of the smaller roads across the country have been filled in. Other larger cities have been added, and some large cities have been updated. For instance, New York City has been updated in all of the spots I've checked so far. (and the gaps in that general area are mostly filled now)

Edit: ah yes, I forgot to mention that Los Angeles and surrounding cities also received an update with the much nicer imagery. MANY of the Street View 'files' are now outdated in both cities.
    Last edited by Munden; 10-08-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Super Moderator

The StreetView Trike has been at the Asahiyama Zoo too. Take a look what's found there in our StreetView feature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahiyama_Zoo
    Last edited by sladys; 10-09-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Super Moderator

Today the following Mexican cities are in StreetView: Mexico City, Puerto Vallarte, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Playa del Carmen, Puebla, Cozumel Island and Cancùn.

Also Spain, the Netherlands and Hawaii have been updated.
    Last edited by sladys; 11-10-2009 at 02:08 AM.

I think there was an update in Las Vegas. I THINK that they changed the pictures along The Strip back from ugly nighttime images to daytime images. It's still a low resolution camera though. This might have happened on the update prior to this, but I am thinking that I did check for this after that update and it was still night.

Super Moderator

Las Vegas was indeed updated last time when all night captures were removed and not replaced.

In New York there were a lot of nightcaptures that were bad. Those have been replaced at the last update.