Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image Update

Default Image Update

I ran across the fact that we've had another standard image update. I was idly flying around the world and stopped at the Atlantis Dubai site, which I'd just placemarked a couple of days previously for my Part 2 of '50 Unusual Buildings' posts. Since I placemarked it, the image has been updated.

Thus far I have only found an update around Dubai. All of their coastal development has been updated. The main land area also got an update and FINALLY the Burj Dubai can be seen mostly complete. The image is apparently from May 1, 2006.

I'll keep looking for more updates. It might just be a small one this time around though.
    Last edited by Munden; 12-14-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Did Egypt have an update, or has it been like that for awhile?
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

They patched in a large section of imagery a while back. I don't think there's any changes. After putting in the changes, somebody went back and color-balanced the imagery, but that too was a while ago I think.

Remember you've got a week or so to check it out in Google Maps to look for updates.

Here's the Burj Dubai:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Add Manhattan to the update. I have a few spots I know to check, and the Intrepid Museum got an update as the Concorde is now visible. I'll leave that to McMaster_de to placemark as that's probably more strongly in his interest area.

Yea, I'm checking over the UAE area right now for my "longest ship" file and there's definitely new water tiles. There's three new 1100+ ships in the harbour, and that's all I've checked so far.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Nothing new in Qatar..except the image color has been lightened up a bit (but whats visible is the same).

\\Awww...the QM2 is gone..
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I was noticing that they did seem to have done some color balancing in Australia too. When you're zoomed out you can't even see the patchwork anymore except for a few streaks. Some of the areas that were very brown before are now green and so forth. I haven't seen any actual new imagery there though. Yet.

Great find! There certainly is an update in progress. I'll be posted on Digital Earth Blog about it shortly. Let me know if you find any other locations.

Christchurch, New Zealand got an update too. The Futuro home that was in the Botanic Gardens is gone. The others are a little more visible though.

Yep, it's definitely changed. Not real high quality imagery, though...

yeah, it's a little smudgy unfortunately.

I found another huge area. The tip South Africa. There's a new tile from north of Cape Town on down south all the way off the end of the continent. There's several large cities in the update, but I guess Cape Town is probably the largest.

I've not really spotted more updates. That's probably all I'm going to spot. However, I THINK they filled in some of the Street View images. I can't confirm that because the updates hit GE and Google Maps at the same time. Previously, though, I do not think that Darwin, Australia had SV images. It does now. There were a few spots in New Zealand that I think got an update too, but only a road here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    I was noticing that they did seem to have done some color balancing in Australia too. When you're zoomed out you can't even see the patchwork anymore except for a few streaks. Some of the areas that were very brown before are now green and so forth. I haven't seen any actual new imagery there though. Yet.
    Woah just looked at it..looks really different.

And yes, Darwin was not SV before..
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

That spot image that was put in the last update for Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro... is not so bright colored anymore.
    Its much more pleasant to look at. Ill put some pictures from GE and GM to compare.
    Nothing special, im not very pleased.

Looks like mostly color of the images are updated around the world this time. They can do much better.

And can you tell me what are SV images?
    Attached Images Attached Images