Thread: Updating

Question Updating

If i update to 4.3 beta will I lose my saved places? If so what files do i need to export/import to get around this. Thanks

Super Moderator

Welcome to GEH.

The best way to avoid this is to create a separate folder on your hard disc and store the placemarks there instead of in the GE folder where the program is.

It's very good to follow the advice of sladys and keep a good copy in a second location. This saves time and trouble in case Google Earth crashes badly, as happened to me once.

That being said, your placemark file shouldn't be removed when you uninstall, which is one reason why it's kept by default in your personal area and not directly in the program directory. The last time I updated, it correctly kept my placemark file intact.

Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post
    Welcome to GEH.

The best way to avoid this is to create a separate folder on your hard disc and store the placemarks there instead of in the GE folder where the program is.
    What folder is it in and how do I associate it with the new GE???

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by djSNUFFY View Post
    What folder is it in
    You decide when you save a placemark you create a folder on your harddisk

Like this: C./GE Placemarks/

how do I associate it with the new GE???
    It's now associated to your new GE

Now you can upload your files via GE and save them in the new folder you have created. Or you can move them in your Windows Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by djSNUFFY View Post
    What folder is it in and how do I associate it with the new GE???
    The default location for your My Places folder is in your 'home directory'. On my system it's something like this:

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Boots\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth\myplaces.kml
    Assuming you're on a Windows machine, it'll be in a similar location. It was definitely time for me to make a spare copy again on my own system, just in case, heh.

You can also right-click on the top folder (My Places) in the Places list and use 'Save Place As' and store a copy wherever you like without going into the default directory. I believe that's what sladys is commenting about. I think it's very good to know where the default location is, though.

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help, up and running.