Thread: Stars

Default Stars

Is there a overlay which reveals the position (*) of stars on the terrestrial sphere, in real time?

For a given star and time, it would reveal which place a star is at the zenith of. Conversely, if we see a star close to the zenith of the place we live at a given time, it could be easily identified on the map.

(*) i.e. the intersection between the earth surface and the line joining the center of earth and a star.

I've dreamed of this too. Heck, even if it were from one moment in time this would still be pretty neat!
    0r.
    Google Earth (Beta) user
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Don't expect to see me on msn much at all, I haven't got Trilly up.

Default I have it !

Hi,

I created it!
    Click the KMZ file attached (1628 stars extracted from the Brightest Star Catalog and mapped to Google Earth).

You may experience a slight problem: Sometime GE crashes if you let the initial view grow bigger until the end (seems to be a bug of GE). So, stop it before the end and then explore normally.

The icon size represents the magnitude of a star. 80 stars have a usual name associated with the icon (french names because i'm french).

Click on any star , then on "caracteristiques" and you will be directed to a complete description of it.

For the moment, this view represents the position of all stars on a fixed date (unknown ). The star position on the map means that this star was at the zenith of this location on this date.

Funny to use with the night and day limit KMZ (on this site)

I plan to calculate the positions of stars in real time ( according to UTC), but to do that i have to write a PHP application that I will put on a public Web server.

tell me how it works .
    enjoy.

Pierre
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, good job! Works perfect for me w/o any flaws - except that Sirius' placemark sign doesn't correspond to the others, but that's a minor issue.
    -Steeefan

Fantastic! this is awesome!! thankyou so much for all your hard work

T.