Thread: Google Earth Flight Sim Top Speed

Default Google Earth Flight Sim Top Speed

It seems on an unmodified F-16 the top speed in the flight sim is 1660 mph. Even if you are still traveling down (diving), your speed instantly stops increasing at 1660. You can go over that by rightening the plane, but not much more...I have yet to pass 1680 mph.

Bummer. Still takes ages to get anywhere if your over the middle of the ocean, even at 1600 mph.

Which brings up my question, If I modify the top speed of one of the flight sim planes.....actually...how do I even modify the flight sim planes? I'm pretty sure its possible. I'd love to try to simulate a submarine and get rid of the ability to roll the plane, and have it so you can only go up, down, and rudder left/right.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

It's amazing it can go that quick. An F-16's top speed at sea level is 915 MPH, and at altitude, 1,500 MPH.

Anyway, I've had a quick look through the Data files, and Couldn't find anything related to the Flight Simulator... It would be interesting to have a Submarine added though.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

A submarine would be a great idea! Just look out for the underwater bridges. Or a space ship for space and a rover for mars.
    Last edited by Jrod; 02-07-2009 at 03:02 PM.

I found a few links for modding the flight sim planes, including videos on youtube (Google: modding google earth flight sim). I'm gonna try some of them, but I'll have to wait till next weekend at the minimum, too much to do at the moment.

Like I did for plane cockpits, I was thinking about making a submarine cockpit screen overlay, until I realized submarines didn't have cockpits, but rather periscopes. I did realize that more commercial submersibles have forward viewing openings and thus cockpits, but I haven't been able to find any good images of them that are large enough and fitting enough.

//reminder to self: you can mod the text in flightsim (stall, gears, etc) to more submarine-like terms (look those up too).
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

You can change the STALL, GEAR, and FLAPS text and color by editing the HUD ini file with notepad in:

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\res\flightsim\hud\generic.ini

You might get an error, so: make sure you are saving as All files, not .txt.

If that doesnt work, make a copy of the generic.ini file, delete the file in the folder, and paste the copy back in. Saving should work now.

Also, don't forget to edit the SR22.ini file as well, if you want that to show up aswell.

To prove it works: And yes, it is modded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 02-07-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Oh this is fun. You can even edit the planet to your liking..feel free to screw around (if you've saved a backup copy). You can change the planets diameter (haven't tried it yet) and the gravity!! I set my gravity to 1.81m/s^2 and am on my way off the planet..currently at 449400 feet high...and going strong. I'm actually speeding up as I travel straight up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I don't think you actually can escape that much. You'll always see the planet, no matter how small, and space is just that..black space with a few far off stars. I'm at 1,308,000 feet, and the only interesting thing is the fact that my speed now shows 1.308e+06

Oh and if you have the bright idea to turn around and head back down, try not to roll too much, GE slows down dramatically, after first killing your brain cells with a twirly pattern.

Don't turn the gravity to a negative number, it breaks the sim.

On a side note, changing the planet's radius doesn't actually do much..
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

WOAH! I went to edit some keyboard keys..and found this out:

If you press ctrl + arrow keys, you can look around your cockpit really quickly, and if you press alt + arrow keys, you can look around your cockpit slowly..

As for my original goal of turning left and right roll of. I succeeded in that too...I changed the SR22.ini file under keyboard folder of the flightsim folder, so that the left and right key change by +0, instead of +/- 0.8.

Now, to make my submarine more complete...
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 02-07-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Sounds like you are really getting into this and are going to come up with something way cool.

Yeah, it really sounds like you're making some progress.

Also, for anyone wanting to Mod the Flightsim on a Mac, Right click on Google Earth when you're in Finder, click "Show Package Contents", A new window will open. Then navigate to Content>Resources>Flightsim.

From then on, it's the same procedure as it is with Windows.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

A little late to the party, but with some experimentation, I was able to increase my speed to over 26K mph and still land comfortably-- but that's the trick. I could make it go faster but you have to eliminate the shaking and be able to land. Currently I can land (and stop) on about a third of a standard runway. (Had to severely alter the planet and the aircraft.)

As for altitude limits, the GE limit seems to be around 38K miles-- but I only flew up to just over 11000 miles because it takes a lot of time and gets boring. . . (The reason I wanted more speed was because I'm impatient.)
    But I did go high enough to see the entire Earth in a single view. Well, the half facing me anyway. . . Actually at that altitude, if you fly level you cannot see the whole planet. For some reason looking straight down you only see half the sphere (that you face)-- interesting. . .

Underwater it does just fine-- I top out at around 5K mph near the surface, but it is very difficult to land on the floor.

Talking How to Change gravity in GE Flight Sim

I saw spider22 s post about he changed the gravity...How do you do that? Sounds great fun! Thanks!

Default 600,000ft And 2000mph at low altitude!!

Just thought I would let u guys know if u want to get to 600,000 ft in ge flight sim OR 2000mph+ at lower alt just go to c/googleearth/client/flightsim/res/planet/earth.ini and change the first 'g' from 9.81 to 1.81....then have fun. Make a backup of the ini file though as once u r at 600k ft movement is very limited. Reckon it is something to do with the air density and pressure...if i could adjust the air pressure to be the same at 600k ft as at sea level then movement would be easy. UNless someone could configure a rocket engine to kick in at higher altitudes...