Thread: Modifying Google Earth - Cool Effects

Default Modifying Google Earth - Cool Effects

Remember, before you try anything, make a folder named "Google Backups" or something along those lines and save any file you are about to edit in there as a backup.

So, I played around. Here's some nice...interesting...things:
    These are all under C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\res
    Try sorting by name to find these things better. Also, opening and reclosing GE might be required to activate these effects.:

When changing the images, make sure you keep the same canvas size.

Water surface color: called watersurface.png
    Open with an editor and change to whatever color you like, preferably maintaining some transparency. I turned mine pink:

Googlelogo: called googlelogo.png
    Don't edit it. Google Earth will autoclose every time you open it if the logo has been changed.

Compass: sort by name and look at anything that starts with compass and is a ping image (as well as new_look_norm.png and new_move_norm.png, swoop_target.png, and anything starting with arrows_. Also, for that matter any .pngs starting with new_) Edit these as you like and make your compass colorful!. I might make a rainbow one later and upload it here. <<note to self

Loading.png
    : Change the way the loading image displays

Notfound.png: Change that annoying red X to something more enjoyable.

You can change the icons at the top of your screen by finding the proper image. Anything with tm_ is the time slider.

mysavedplaces_closed.png and mysavedplaces_open.png : changes the icon of the little blue earth of your folders, depending on weather or not the folder is closed or open. Mine is now a red earth when closed and a green earth when opened.

pie_f##.pmg : the loading circle in bottom right of screen. Feel free to change the colors.

Look around and you can change the various icons of the layers. There's alot so I won't list them.

openfolder.png/closedfolder.png : change what open folders and closed folders look like. I changed mine to red for closed, green for open. Actually kinda neat. I'll keep this one.

hand.png : your cursor. Or so I thought. It doesn't actually change the cursor.

waterbump#.png : I haven't figured it out, but it has to do with water surface and/or terrain.

There's a shapes folder in there, but so far I haven't gotten any icons to change.

Found a nice folder: there's a folder named "pushpin". Editing those will change what your pushpins display as. I made my yellow pushpins (alas, the most common ones), semi-rainbow:

That's all for now. (I'm pretty positive this is legal since I'm just changing images around and it only changes the local copy of Google Earth).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Very handy, I remember I used to do some stuff like this, but now there's so many more options to play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    That's all for now. (I'm pretty positive this is legal since I'm just changing images around and it only changes the local copy of Google Earth).
    Sure, it's legal, so long as you don't redistribute any of the files.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

2 more mods. Out of pure boredom (and procrastination).

The theme: rainbowy.

"Sure, it's legal, so long as you don't redistribute any of the files."

Does that mean that posting my modified "watersurface.png" would be illegal?
    On a side note, you can change the start up screen (splash screen). I don't suggest doing it, it'll load fine, but some people might be unhappy. I added some text to mine and a GEH logo...
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 02-08-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Default Speaking of rainbows...

I figured out the toolbar images. And made my toolbar rainbowy. =D (First edition was BLACK/RED/GOLD for the German Flag, but I prefer rainbow).

If you want/need a list of what Image does what, private message me.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶