Thread: Subterranian mines. Is it possible??

Default Subterranian mines. Is it possible??

Hi folks. Not having done anything other than use Google Earth to explore, I have taken on a project (more than I can chew? ) to photograph actual plans from mines dating between 1810 to 1986 and implement them into Google Earth.

Very important historically, these are some of the oldest, deepest and longest under-sea coal mines to have been sunk and some technology developed for them is in use world wide today. Men, women and children worked down these mines, and hundreds of them were killed.

Firstly, I want to know how I can do it. I will be able to get the actual plans for these mines showing where they actually went. There were 4 pits, each in a slightly different area and/or depth. Is it possible for some kind of overlay to appear under the surface of the earth?

Sadly it's not possible to display anything underground, Although there is a way around it. Your option is to create a 3D Model of the Mines, and then position the models in the air, above the actual sites. Also, however deep the mines are, is the distance you could place the model above the surface.

Here's a good example: http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archi...in_google.html

Hope that Helps.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

Thanks very much

I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of a tutorial that would show me how to create this, according to accurate measurements of tunnel lengths etc?

The easier option might be to simply overlay the photo of the map drawing into Google Earth. I think that creating a 3D map of the thousands of tunnels will be downright impossible.

Well a good start if you want to make the 3D models is download SketchUp 7. It's by Google, and it's free. sketchup.google.com/

Other than that, you could just overlay the photos of the tunnels onto Google Earth. Using things like the tunnel entrances as reference points, and measuring from there.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections