Thread: Ice Road discussion

Default Ice Road discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Ice Road

A road or path of some sort leading onto the ice from Detah, Northwest Territories, Canada. Possibly some sort of winter event in the area?

Default Ice Road

Depending on what part of Canada, could be from the Ice Road Truckers show. I'm at school right now so I can't look at the file.

From Wikipedia:

Dettah or Detah is a First Nations community in the North Slave Region of the Northwest Territories, Canada. Located just outside the capital of Yellowknife, it is a 6.5 km (4 mi) drive from that town by ice road in winter or a 27 km (18.8 mi) drive on an all-season road.

That's one good enough reason to take the ice road whenever it's possible!
    ... but never eat the yellow snow! (Inuit wisdom)

The short answer is that this bit of road wasn't part of the series. They took the normal roads to the northern edge of Yellowknife and then took the Ingraham Trail up to Tibbit Lake. (62░33'1.78"N 113░21'10.10"W)

This bit of road, while apparently not in the TV series is certainly part of the general ice road network. That would be obvious even if it weren't near Yellowknife. The larger road might just be a way to route extra truck traffic around the city to avoid clogging streets with trucks. The skinnier road that goes on to the south is interesting also, though. I have to wonder if it goes to the southern shore of the lake. The Pine Point Lead/Zinc mine is right down there on the shore.

Greenwich, Greater London, United Kingdom

I wonder what it's like driving on those roads... and what the speed limit would be.
    In Politics, You Really Have To Get Behind Someone Before You Can Stab Them In The Back!