Thread: How to convert kmz to wmv for e-mailing

Default How to convert kmz to wmv for e-mailing

I'm using Google Earth 5. I have recorded a tour and saved it as a kmz file, which can only be used by other Google Earth users. However, I want to send my tour to friends and relatives via e-mail in a format that most anybody can view, such as wmv.

Google Earth help says that wmv files are 'supported' by Google Earth, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to convert my tour video to wmv files.

I also have Microsoft Movie Maker 2, but there is no option to import kmz files.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Two choices come to mind:

1. Google Earth Pro -- $400 -- Video recording built in.

2. Fraps -- $37 -- Slick little recorder. It's what I used to make these videos.

Thanks. That's close, but does it support sound? I guess what I'm looking for is like what they use to post Google Earth videos on YouTube like 'Google Earth Secret Places' and 'Google Earth Secrets.' In fact, that's where I got the idea to record my own tour.

Don't want to use a screen capture utility because I don't want the cursor, the controls and the screen text to show.

Quote Originally Posted by revO emaG View Post
    Thanks. That's close, but does it support sound?
    Not sure. I usually add the sound in after I capture the video.

Don't want to use a screen capture utility because I don't want the cursor, the controls and the screen text to show.
    That's not a problem. You can turn off the controls and text in Google Earth, and I believe Fraps has an option to hide the cursor.

You convinced me. I'm going to go download FRAPS right now. Thanks much.

You convinced me. I'm going to go download FRAPS right now. Thanks much.
    It's got a free version (with a watermark), so it's easy to test and see if it does what you want. Let us know how it works out.

Well, I downloaded the free version of Fraps, but I can't get it to work. The hotkey doesn't work. The only thing that takes me away form the initial screen takes me to the Fraps website where they want me to purchase the full package.

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I've been working with computers since I wrote my first Fortran program in college in 1972. I've programmed in COBOL, BASIC, Pascal and Visual BASIC. I'm computer-savvy enough to have taught myself AutoCAD and PLC programming, so I should know how to navigate a simple application like Fraps.

I guess I'll have to purchase the full package, but, man, $37 is $37, nome sane?

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I've been working with computers since I wrote my first Fortran program in college in 1972. I've programmed in COBOL, BASIC, Pascal and Visual BASIC. I'm computer-savvy enough to have taught myself AutoCAD and PLC programming, so I should know how to navigate a simple application like Fraps.
    You remind me of my professor. =D

Okay. So, first off, it doesn't work on my wireless keyboard, but that is because those F keys are all screwy. On my laptop it works fine. Set the video capture hotkey to something like F9. Open up Google Earth (or whatever you are recording.) Press the hotkey when you are ready. There is no obvious (5,4,3,2,1) indicator of the start, it just..starts. Actually, if you have FPS enabled, itll switch from yellow text to red text when the recording stops. Press the hotkey again to stop the video. Go to your fraps folder and it should be saved there.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

I've made some progress with Fraps. Seems it was working all along, I just didn't know it was recording.

Now...another problem with Fraps: I recorded a 6-min. Google Earth tour. Used the hotkey. Fraps saved the file...all 359 Mega-bytes of it. However, when I run it, it only plays for 20 sec. and quits. Went to the Fraps website and found that the 'free' download records only 20% of the file. So much for free downloads. I mean, who wants only 20% of something. They could have limited it to 5 recordings or something like that. I guess I'll have to shell out the $37 for the whole thing. Think they'll up it to 50% so I'll have to pay them even more for the 'bundle?'

Awrighty, then. I went ahead and shelled-out the $37 for the full-blown Fraps. Along with Ojosoft Video Converter, I am now able to make wmv files. Now, if I can just find a way to get around the 5-min. Photobucket video limitation...

Smile this information was helpful

this thread has helped me in more ways than you can imagine. thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by janmmg View Post
    this thread has helped me in more ways than you can imagine. thanks very much.
    You make me suspicious.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶