Thread: How To Turn Off Earth View Zoom Target

Default How To Turn Off Earth View Zoom Target

I'm making Google Earth Tour videos. When I adjust the zoom control, a 'target' appears and it shows up on my video. However, in sky view, when I adjust it, there is no 'target.' Is there some way to disable it in Earth view?

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but there's no target if you use the wheel on your mouse to control the zoom.
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.

What I want to do is, at the beginning of a recording, I want to slowly zoom all the way in on a location, then, at the end I want to slowly zoom all the way back out. If I use my mouse wheel, the motion is not smooth...it follows my motion, which is to roll the wheel, stop, move my finger to the top of the wheel (or bottom), and scroll again, etc.

I can hold down the right mouse button and pull back on the mouse. That will zoom out, but it will also tilt as it zooms.

I just thought there had to be a way to turn off the target like you can turn off tool tips and the sidebar and stuff.

I don't know how to turn off the target (or even if it's possible), but I think you can achieve the effect you want through a creative use of placemarks and adjusting your fly-to speed. Here's a good tutorial for using placemarks in tours (and about making tours in general).

Good luck,

Terry

I've played around with what you're talking about, but it's not quite exactly what I'm looking for. If you'd like, check out my 'tour' below. Notice the last sequence. You can see the 'target' right in the middle of the screen. That's what I'm looking for. The video is six minutes long, by the way:

http://www.dropshots.com/revOemaG#da...03-03/17:47:35

I'm pretty much out of ideas here, but I've got one last thing you can try. If you enable the Overview Map, you can zoom in/out by right-clicking on it and moving your mouse forward or backward. The 3d View options give you some control over the size and scale of the Overview Map, so this might work for you. The downside is that doing this creates a visible cursor by itself, but it's much smaller than the usual crosshairs, and it's also away from the center of the screen and therefore easier to overlook.

Good luck.

Update: I just played around with this a bit more. You can also adjust the tilt in the Overview Map by holding down the mouse wheel and moving the mouse forward and backward. Also, while zooming in/out, you can simultaneously move the mouse right or left to get a nice rolling effect. As an aside, I think the crosshairs are still there when you do this, they're just hidden behind the Overview window (bring the cursor close to the edge of the Overview Map and click a button to see what I mean).
    Last edited by tpstigers; 03-05-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: I got smarter

Man, that's pretty doggone close to what I'm trying to do. I'm realizing that I'm just scratching the surface on what all you can do with Google Earth. Thanks for all your help.

Hey, Terry, I found it! To turn off the crosshairs on zooming, go to the Tools Menu, click 'Options...', then click the Navigation tab, then unselect the 'Automatically tilt while zooming' checkbox under 'Navigation.' I just knew there had to be a way...my gut told me so.

Holy Crap! It was that easy. I think sometimes I overthink this stuff too much.

One last thing, I just discovered by accident: you can zoom in/out with the +/- keys, and they don't seem to invoke the crosshairs. Just for future reference.

Hmmm, I tried that, but it didn't work. I was just playing around with the keys and discovered that it would work if I hold down the alt key while pressing + or -.