Thread: 1st post and looking for a hand out!

Default 1st post and looking for a hand out!

hey guy's and gals, i have been trying to make a custom route for my garmin using google earth. i cant tho haha. if someone could show me some pointers OR if some one could help me out with it i would be very humbled! its a simple route but when i use the poi loader i screw things up.

also if theres any car guys here, i have a very intresting storie to tell them if they can help me out haha

You can create a route (track) on Google Earth for your GPS unit by using the Add Path icon in Google Earth. Click on the map to add points to the track you want to make. When finished save this file and convert to the GPX format. I use a free program called GPS Visualizer to do this. After converting to the GPX format this file will download into your GPS unit using the Garmin program called Mapsource. Probably not all Garmin units are capable of this but I have a Garmin GPS 76CSx which works like this. I hope this is what you are looking for.

Thanks! the only problem i have is i dont have mapsource. i have been using POIloader. now i i found the KMZ file, can i use poiloader to upload that to my garmin? also can i save a map i made using google maps and load it to a garmin?

The basic (free) Mapsource CD was included with the Garmin gps that I purchased. If you don't have that CD or wasn't included with your gps it looks like there is a way to download it from the internet. The Mapsource product needed is very basic software but is needed to download waypoints, tracks, and routes into and out of your Garmin gps. There probably are some other utilities on the internet to do this but I am not aware of them. Also I am not aware of or used the poi loader. I don't know if you would be able to create a route with this or probably just add waypoints to your Mapsource software (maps). I have also never downloaded Google Maps to my gps but my guess is that you would need the Mapsource product or some other utility to do this also.

well i found a free down load and ill check it out tonight, thanks for all the help and ill keep you updated!

I was just looking at the CD that was included with my Garmin gps and noticed that it's called Trip & Waypoint Manager. Mapsource products are probably considered to be the more detailed maps for Garmin. So all you need is Trip & Waypoint Manager from Garmin and not a more detailed map.