Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customised icons folder?

Default Customised icons folder?

I use only a tiny fraction of the standard placemark icons. Often I want to specify a custom-made one, like a pub symbol, UK railway station, etc. I can add these individually each time I need one, but that's quite long-winded and the icon doesn't survive into another GE session. Can anyone tell me how I can set up a permanent display which includes some of the standards and all of my own please?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Yes. Easily. Go to C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\res\shapes
    and change those. They correspond to your placemark icons.

Edit: Let me be more precise. That folder allows you to edit the bottom half of the icons (in attachment, the ones with inverted colors).

The top ones can be edited in this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\res\paddle
    Also see attachment. They are now also inverted.

And finally, the last ones remaining (the standard pushpins) are found in this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\res\pushpin
    Ditto attachment

Also, make sure when editing the images you keep them as .png and you don't change their canvas size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 03-09-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Thanks SpiderX22, that looks very promising. Look forward to trying it tomorrow morning.

--

Quote Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    Thanks SpiderX22, that looks very promising. Look forward to trying it tomorrow morning.

--
    In fact I was too imaptient to wait and have just successfully made a couple of changes - many thanks for the heads up on that technique.

However, unless I'm screwing up somewhere, there seem to be a few restrictions. First, I was unable to add my own new PNGs as I'd hoped. So I edited the play.png (a footballer) to a beer mug. That duly appeared in the display. But when I tried to tidy up by renaming that as Beer.png I was surprised to find the footballer back again!

I thought maybe there was some maximum number allowed, so I then deleted the skier, which I'll never need, and again tried to add a new PNG, but no luck.

Do you have any more insights into all this please?

--

Yes, I do. I forgot a few things. The first, which seems to have affected you, is that you cannot change the names of the pngs. To my understanding, the placemarks in Google Earth work by the application (Google Earth) reading a certain path where that image is stored, and then using that image. I do not think you can change which path is read (you would have to physically edit the GE application), and thus you are stuck with keeping the file names the same. However, you can probably make a word document that tells you what GE-named icon correlates to what new custom icon name you have. I realize this isn't the perfect solution, but that's all I have.

You can add your own icons, you just have to use the name of an icon in the shapes folder. True, this is annoying, but unless you are actively using the names of the placemark icon, you won't see the names ever again.

Some of the images in the shapes folder don't actually correspond to actual placemarks...the smaller pngs in particular. All in all, there are 166 icons that can be modified.

P.S. Does the icon still work if you change it's size? I've never tried it before, and don't have the time to.
    P.P.S. I'd make a backup copy of everything you're doing. Sometimes if you make a drastic mistake GE will crash on startup everytime.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Very helpful, thanks.

Size doesn't appear to matter. I tried 32x32, 64x48 with success.

Some other points for anyone else that ends up here

1. Deletions of any existing files result in the icons being scrambled. IOW the chosen icon does not match that at top left, which is what gets placed.

2. Nor can you add any new files.

3. Care is needed when editing to preserve transparency.

4. Note that the icons are not displayed in alphabetic filename order.

5. Filenames bear no relation to the edited image. (My BrownBeerMug is called swimming.png.)

6. Must restart GE after any change

I've now replaced 4 icons and expect to make many more. An excellent hack, thanks again!

--

The sad thing is, when Terry creates and shares a kmz file using one of his (her?) custom icons, every other user in the world will see the icon Google placed in the folder instead of the one Terry worked so hard on.

In other words, when Terry creates a file with using his Brown Beer Mug icon and sends it to me, I'll end up seeing Google's swimming icon.

There is a workaround, I figured it out many years ago, but I have forgotten what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    The sad thing is, when Terry creates and shares a kmz file using one of his (her?) custom icons, every other user in the world will see the icon Google placed in the folder instead of the one Terry worked so hard on.

In other words, when Terry creates a file with using his Brown Beer Mug icon and sends it to me, I'll end up seeing Google's swimming icon.

There is a workaround, I figured it out many years ago, but I have forgotten what I did.
    True statement. You could technically send the shapes folder with the file and have the user switch out their folder with the new one, but that's a hassle.

If you remember, I'll definitely be interested to know how.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    If you remember, I'll definitely be interested to know how.
    I remember doing it for this file, way back in 2005 - Google doesn't have a basketball icon. I don't have time today to reverse engineer the file, but feel free to figure it out.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Nope, you are wrong. The icons is part of the kmz-file and everybody will see his Brown Beer Mug. I've just verified that (with an own picture).

I remember doing it for this file, way back in 2005 - Google doesn't have a basketball icon. I don't have time today to reverse engineer the file, but feel free to figure it out.
    Yes, as mentioned above. Terrypins problem is, that this individual icon lasts only during the running GE-session. When opening GE once again, the formerly saved individual icon is gone. He can add it again, but exactly that is his question of a workaround to implement them permanently.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hornblower View Post
    Terrypins problem is, that this individual icon lasts only during the running GE-session. When opening GE once again, the formerly saved individual icon is gone.
    Maybe I've misunderstood you, but the changes I've made based on SpiderX22's approach are permanent.

--

So you have overwritten the standard icons? If yes, have you exchanged a file with your "customized" icons with another person? If yes, what icon does he see?

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

So you have overwritten the standard icons?
    Yes, as described up-thread.

If yes, have you exchanged a file with your "customized" icons with another person? If yes, what icon does he see?
    No. If I did, I'd obviously expect the result that Appletom described.

--

And what do YOU see? Your customized icon?

Norman R. Augustine

And what do YOU see? Your customized icon?
    Yes, of course, what else would I see?!

Have you tried this yet?

--