Thread: Folder mystery

Default Folder mystery

This is probably not a GE issue but it arises directly out of working with GE. It's had me baffled for hours now so any insights would be appreciated please.

I recently moved all my GE files (KML/KMZ) from
    C:\Docs\My Pictures\Maps\GE Files
    to
    C:\Docs\Maps\GE Files.
    GE works fine and I can open that newly located folder OK from shortcuts or d-clicking it in C:\Docs\Maps, etc. But the odd thing is that it won't run from the Run box. Every other of a dozen folders I've tried open OK. But not C:\Docs\Maps\GE Files. If I change its name in any way, such as to 'GE Files2' or 'GE-Files', those open fine. And if I move 'GE Files' to some other parent folder, that's fine too. It's just this C:\Docs\Maps\GE Files that is the problem.

The only reason I hesitate to change it is that I have scores of shortcuts using the old name. (Note that I don't actually use the Run box, I use various macro programs, that's just a way of discussing the issue in an accessible manner.)

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Just a guess. Try replacing the space with %20
    Matt Fox

Thanks, but neither %20 nor %20% made any difference. (And note that other folders containing spaces in their paths run OK from the Run box.)

I ran Process Monitor while Run > C:\Docs\Maps\GE Files was executing. Possible clues I found were:

- The entry 'C:\Docs\Maps\GE Files.lnk' gave a BUFFER OVERFLOW, whatever that implies.

- A puzzling entry appeared, 'C:\Docs\Maps\Maps-Aerial Views\GE Files', with PATH NOT FOUND. This is puzzling. That folder no longer exist, because during the same reorganisation I changed its name to C:\Docs\Maps\Aerial.

It sure looks like something has got scrambled in my XP folders around this section. Plainly not a GE issue though, so my apologies for the OT thread! I'll try asking for help in one of the XP forums.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK