Thread: What decides colour of imported track?

Default What decides colour of imported track?

If I drag a GPX file (made from a GPS record) into GE, the colour of the track is usually light blue. Is this
    - fixed?
    - dependent on the source file in some way?
    - configurable within GE please?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin - I owe you one. Until this very second I never realized you could just drag a .gpx file into Google Earth and have a path created. I've always been converting to kmz first.

But the drag/drop thing works! Thank You!!!

The color appears to be fixed, but to change the color of the path, once it opens in Google Earth right click and choose "Properties". Then select the "Style, Color" tab and make any changes you want.

Does anybody know how to keep the path visible while zoomed out?

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    Does anybody know how to keep the path visible while zoomed out?
    It depends on the lenth of each 'piece' of path. Short pieces disappear, but very long ones keep visible even when the wolhe planet is shown.

Thank you Crane. My GPS grabs a point every second - 24,925 points from Phoenix to El Paso last week. I think there is a way to change that, maybe I'll set it for one point every 5 seconds and see what that does.

Cool feature - when you import the .gpx file into Google Earth, one of the options is to "Create clickable image for track and route points." When you do that, you can click on any of the 24,925 points and it will tell you longitude, latitude, direction and speed. And it tells you what time the point was created.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, it's handy isn't it?

I know about changing properties but I was just curious about the initial colour. I guess it's hard-coded. Blue here usually means rivers, so I always have to change it.

Several other points have always puzzled me about the structure of this GPX import into Temporary Places:

GPS device
    - Waypoints
    - Tracks
    --- GPXfilename
    ------- Path

1. Regardless of unchecking the option, the Waypoint entry still gets imported.

2. Why is Path nested inside a 'parent folder'? (That's a general issue I've never understood. I often find to my surprise that if I save a placemark or track from My Places to HD, when I open it later it's one level down inside such a 'folder'. Why?)

3. The only part of this structure I'm usually interested in is the path itself, which I usually relocate immediately in My Places. But annoyingly for some reason it's just called 'Path', instead of inheriting the GPX filename like its parent folder. Why? I have to copy/paste to give it that name. I could just move it inside its parent, which is named, but until I see some added value from that I far prefer to keep things as simple and uncluttered as possible.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I can't answer all your questions, but I may be able to shed some light on one of them. I've also wondered why the 'Waypoint' tag imports by default (not necessarily in GE. I work with maps, GPS and computers for a living - points taken in the field always download into the computer with 'Waypoint' attached to them).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the reason this happens is because 'Waypoint' is just one of several (or many) labels the GPS receiver in question will allow you to apply to any given point taken. Since there are multiple choices, the device insists on applying one of them.

I think.
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.

How can I change color and track size with a MAC?

I wasn't aware that there was a different Google Earth for Mac. Can't you use the properties option as pointed out in post 2 in this thread?