Thread: Google earth and windows profiles / registry settings

Default Google earth and windows profiles / registry settings

OK, this is aggravating me....

Seems like every time I give a user a new PC I fight with Google Earth and their myplaces.kml file.

Usually I just back it up and copy it over to the new PC/laptop. But every once in a while I run into this.

Sometimes a users profile is renamed during the switch to "user" or "user.DOMAIN". Whenever this happens, Google earth seems to revert to the OLD location looking for their kml file.

So lets say I get "jim" all set up. His profile is named "jim", but used to be called "jim.DOMAIN". Once I open GE it creates a second profile called jim.DOMAIN and sticks his GE Application Data folder and a blank myplaces.kml file there. I can't get it to point back at the right one (jim).

I have tried getting into the registry and changing the HKCU\Software\Google\GECommonSettings\KMLPath to point to the right profile and rebooting, but it always seems to switch back. I also tried changing the HKCU\Software\Google\CommonSettings\commandlineKML path to point to the new profile.

I can't seem to find anything inside the program to manage this. I can't delete his "new" myplaces file apparently. And if I open the old one it shows up as temporary places. And since I do NOT want two profiles for users, importing or copying the old KML file into the new one isn't an option.

How do you tell GE where to save settings and KML files! It's gotta be a setting somewhere. I'm striking out. This shouldn't be so hard. I must be missing something easy.

Never mind, found a different solution.

1. I renamed his profile back to the name that GE is looking for (jim.DOMAIN).

2. Then I went to the following area of the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

3. Found his SSID or profile, and changed the "ProfileImagePath" to jim.DOMAIN

4. rebooted and everything is happy.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Still would like to find out how google earth gets the path from in the registry or in the program. Probably would have saved me some headaches to do it in the program instead of messing with a bunch of profile & registry settings.