Thread: Is a specified view 'pixel perfect'?

Default Is a specified view 'pixel perfect'?

I'm trying to write a macro (with Macro Express) that depends on identifying whether GE has fully loaded and settled on my default view. To do this I've identified a couple of specific co-ordinates within the GE main window and written logic to check their pixel colours. But I appear to be getting inconsistent results. Which prompts my question: does GE fly to exactly the same view for a particular placemark, or is there some imprecision, albeit only a pixel or two?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry - I've tried the default view and a placemark. Screen shots from one session to another - and I'm closing Google Earth in between - seem to match pixel for pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    I'm trying to write a macro (with Macro Express) that depends on identifying whether GE has fully loaded and settled on my default view. To do this I've identified a couple of specific co-ordinates within the GE main window and written logic to check their pixel colours. But I appear to be getting inconsistent results. Which prompts my question: does GE fly to exactly the same view for a particular placemark, or is there some imprecision, albeit only a pixel or two?

--

I'm not sure if this helps, but I recall this happens every so often:
    Occasionally GE will zoom to a placemark/view you've saved, but not at the view you set it. If you then doubleclick the placemark again it goes to the proper location. This is much more likely to happen if you're zooming in to a terrain intensive area.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Thanks both. I'll continue experimenting and see if I can discover why those inconsistencies were occurring.

Off on a walking holiday to Douro region of Portugal early tomorrow, so back on the case in a week or so.

--

Why don't you post your default starting location so we can play with it while you are on your walkabout?

Thanks for the offer. But I tried it with several different defaults and had simillar problems with each of them, so assume the cause is down to me.

However I'm pleased to report I realised there was a simpler approach to do what I wanted (determine when a freshly-started GE had settled). I rewrote the macro so that it tested the colour at one arbitrary pixel location (900,400 on this 1920x1200 monitor). It did this repeatedly at 400 ms intervals (trial/error) and after every 4 times it checked if all 4 last colours obtained were identical. If not it continued. If they were, that was the stable condition I was seeking.

Of course, if I set my default to the middle of the Pacific, I suppose there's still a residual low chance that the fly-in could still be proceeding even though 4 snapshots over 1.6 seconds had shown the same shade of blue at that spot, but in practice this cuts the mustard!

--

Terry, out of pure curiosity, might I ask what it is you're going to be doing?

Oh, and good to see another West Sussex resident, I've got a place in Crawley Down.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

GEH4EVR,

Hi. Crawley Down/Baldwin's Hill - virtually neighbours.

By what I'm "going to be doing", you mean after establishing when GE has settled? I just get the macro to do other things, starting with pasting lat/long co-ordinates into the Fly To box. These were copied to clipboard in another application, Memory-Map. So the net result is to show me in GE the place I'm currently hovering over in Mem-Map.

BTW, how do I turn on this forum's formatting tools please? Applying the 'B' (Bold) tool for example does nothing here.

--

BTW, how do I turn on this forum's formatting tools please? Applying the 'B' (Bold) tool for example does nothing here. No one know how to do this? (I had to apply BBCode manually to get the above in italics.) Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Can you see the toolbar, but it's without function? Then please enable JavaScript in your browser.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hornblower View Post
    Can you see the toolbar, but it's without function? Then please enable JavaScript in your browser.
    Thanks, that fixed it!

--