Thread: Airplanes Explosions Volcanoes & Geo One

Default Airplanes Explosions Volcanoes & Geo One

Opps.. I mean GeoEye, Not Geo One

Hi..

I'm New to Google earth, a lover of History and hope to use Google Earth to view the main historical wonders of the world. ( or even new strange wonders captured on the camera and maybe even find some myself!)

I have a few questions.

I would expect, if we are getting pics from a satellite we would see Lots of Airplanes. We dont.. why is this?

The same goes with the Iriaq War and bomb Explosions.. I would think we would see fighting, in Iraq and bombs in the middle of exploding as well as volcanoes in mid eruption.

Perhaps these thing are there and I just haven't seen them yet.

I understand most governments censor some things in Google Earth. We get a watered down version of what is really going on out there due to that.

My guess is each area is doctored so we only see what is 'acceptable' for us to see.

I am using the Beta 5 by the way.

I read someplace that Google is going to start using new high res pics from GeoEye.. Have they started yet.. is that that I am seeing in beta 5?

I read someplace that the whole planet was not yet available from GeoEye is that true?

If so, where can I get GeoEye data to use with Google Earth?

Thanks!

John phoenix
    Last edited by JohnPhoenix; 04-14-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: fix spelling errors

Can't see explosions in Iraq because the data is really old, and the chances of a satellite passing over and taking a picture at the EXACT moment something explodes are so miniscule.

Can't see airplanes? There's TONS. Look here or here.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

I would have thought the opposite.. that there was so much terrorism going on that the chances were good to get an explosion on camera.. but I will take your word for it, Thanks..

Btw folks.. I forgot to ask this above.. How old is the data? How often does it get updated?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPhoenix View Post
    I would have thought the opposite.. that there was so much terrorism going on that the chances were good to get an explosion on camera.. but I will take your word for it, Thanks..
    Mind you, these are approximations, but for the chance of the satellite showing an explosion, there would have to be hundreds upon thousands of explosions each day. Look at it this way: it takes approximately a second to take an image. There are 86,400 seconds in one day. We can forget night images, but thats still 43,200 seconds. That means, there is ~ 1/43200 chance of catching a single explosion on camera. Let's not forget that this is in one day and it's not like the satellite takes one picture of all of Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPhoenix View Post
    Btw folks.. I forgot to ask this above.. How old is the data? How often does it get updated?
    It gets updated every few months...there was an update on Easter. The areas that are updated are kind of random, kind of not (often they update previously low-res images, but often something for no reason). You can check the date of an image by activating the time-slider feature. Then you can also browse back in time and see older images. The feature is on the toolbar, to the left of the Sunlight icon and to the right of the camera icon.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

The same goes with the Iriaq War and bomb Explosions
    there was so much terrorism going on
    I'm glad that you're able to see the war in Iraq for what it is.
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.