Thread: an introduction

Default an introduction

hi folks...i'm a fan of google earth. i run it on mandriva linux. i used to run keyhole on windows. i'm really only a casual user but it's a must have on any of my computers. i haven't learned much about gearth except how to visit a few places which brings me here.
    i've put together a collection of places but before i ask just what exactly i can do with it i'll do my homework and read thru the board to see what i can learn first. i hope i'm in the right place. a twitter search lead me here.
    for now i'm just gonna say hi.

Hello, welcome aboard!

You can do a lot with it, it just depends what you want to do with it. More information about this collection and I can probably point you in the right direction..
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

hi...it's the NHRA, national hot rod association, venue of 24 dragstrips. there's also another sanctioning body IHRA, international hot rod assoc. venue i'd eventually like to get around to looking up and locating.
    i've seen other kml files from the user community and was wondering if i could do it also or if this is what i need to do. this particular set of 24 locations is probably not unique but i haven't searched around yet.
    i'm afraid i'm a little slow learning how to do things and getting them done. i'm still in the process of googling around for info but i moved this up my todo list.
    thanks for reply

In case your googling, if you append "+ kmz" or "+ kml" google will search for files specifically related to google earth and will often give you downloadable content. Kmz and Kml are the file extensions used, kmz is the zipped version of kml (keyhole markup language) and both will open in Google Earth.

My suggestion would be to make a collection, if you haven't already. This can be done by making a folder (right click placemarks bar, new folder) and by putting the arenas or whatnot in there. If you want, you can sort by country or by state (make new folders with States, etc). I'm not sure if there's an automated way of doing this, I personally make and sort my folders by hand. There's this tool to sort placemarks in folders, it used to work perfectly, but sometimes its buggy and doesn't work.

The locations may not be unique, but the collection might be. I tried searching through this website, and we don't have much on hot rods here.

If your into more advanced and complicated things, remember that placemarks have an information bubble which allows all html tags, so you can put in images and urls, tables and charts, videos and i believe now audio, etc. If you know html, go try it out more. If not, try this.

Also, you can make your collection into a tour or make it a network link.

Hope this helps a bit..
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

thanks much SpiderX22. good links to get me started. looks like a simple tour of placemarks will be sufficient for starters and then maybe i can learn to do more.

however it seems i have an old version of gearth. no record tour button. so i'm off to see about upgrading.

Google Earth 4.3.7204.0836 (beta)
    Build Date Apr 24 2008
    Build Time 13:27:36
    Renderer OpenGL
    Operating System Linux (2.6.24.7)
    Video Driver NVIDIA Corporation
    Max Texture Size 4096x4096
    Server kh.google.com

edit...i'm unable to download version 5.0. the javascript link on the download page doesn't work.
    Last edited by cybormoron; 05-29-2009 at 04:23 AM.

No problem.

Weird, it works for me.

Try this: http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

ok, i think i got something. i just uploaded NHRA tracks.kmz

file description
    This is a tour of the NHRA National Hot Rod Association 24 event 22 dragstrips. created 31may2009

i hope this works ok. i created 24 placemarks with links in the balloon to the information page about the event and links to the facility webpage. i simply saved the folder as kmz file. the tour takes 9:36 minutes to play. i hope everyone enjoys it.

edit...i was able to get version 5.0 installed.
    Last edited by cybormoron; 05-31-2009 at 06:18 PM.