Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: new user or spammed/hacked?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Google Earth Explorer T.Dooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    379

    Default new user or spammed/hacked?

    A new user (homeloans86) have posted currently 8 posts with, as I read them, very little relevans to anything about GE. I do not dare clicking on any of the various links in the posts
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen


  2. #2
    ṨῤἵḋểṙẊƻƻ SpiderX22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Dooley View Post
    A new user (homeloans86) have posted currently 8 posts with, as I read them, very little relevans to anything about GE. I do not dare clicking on any of the various links in the posts
    It's spam. Usually when a user joins and the same day posts messages, its spams. No one must have been online at the time in terms of moderators, since it's usually promptly deleted. A week ago someone came online and posted 20!! messages about purses.

    Usually a bot on a single IP address, so banning one usually ends up with more. I still don't understand the point of spamming about nike shoes or purses to this website...
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

  3. #3
    Google Earth Explorer T.Dooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    It's spam. Usually when a user joins and the same day posts messages, its spams. No one must have been online at the time in terms of moderators, since it's usually promptly deleted. A week ago someone came online and posted 20!! messages about purses.

    Usually a bot on a single IP address, so banning one usually ends up with more. I still don't understand the point of spamming about nike shoes or purses to this website...
    I completely agree about not understanding the point of spamming about nike shoes or purses or any of not relevant "things" posted in spam overall. But it seems like it works, since they keep on doing it! Good work from moderators
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen


  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,777

    Default

    Not only here in our forum they spam. Also in other forums. I don't understand why they waste their time with that. They will be caught at once when we mods see them and their spams.

  5. #5
    ṨῤἵḋểṙẊƻƻ SpiderX22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sladys View Post
    Not only here in our forum they spam. Also in other forums. I don't understand why they waste their time with that. They will be caught at once when we mods see them and their spams.
    I don't think it's people. It's bots that are programmed. Ie. write a bot program, and you can spam forever...with little work.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    I don't think it's people. It's bots that are programmed. Ie. write a bot program, and you can spam forever...with little work.
    Ah. You allways learn something new, so I found this Wikipedia about it.

    Forum spambots surf the web, looking for guestbooks, wikis, blogs, forums and any other web forms to submit spam links to the web forms it finds. These spambots often use OCR technology to bypass CAPTCHAs present. Some spam messages are targeted towards readers and can involve techniques of target marketing or even phishing, making it hard to tell real posts from the bot generated ones. Not all of the spam posts are meant for the readers; some spam messages are simply hyperlinks intended to boost search engine ranking.

    This category of spambots has gained considerable notoriety since November 2006, with the introduction of XRumer, a forum and wiki spambot which can often bypass many of the safeguards administrators use to reduce the amount of spam posted.

    The easiest way to prevent spambots from posting on forums, wiki, guestbook, etc. is to enable e-mail activation by installing a mail server on the host (eg: Sendmail, Postfix, Exim.), since most spambot scripts use fake or randomly generated names on real e-mail providers, the e-mails will mostly never be successfully routed to them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spambot#Forum_spambots

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •