Thread: How to Set Altitude

Default How to Set Altitude

Dear Community,

I am (a total beginner and) trying to set my altitude to exactly 500m. How can I do that?

Thank you for your time and attention

40 views and not a single help.

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Clan View Post
    40 views and not a single help.

Thanks a lot.
    Probably because we don't know and are wondering ourselves?

Only thing that came to mind is to disable scroll (zoom in/out) and thne move around, or use a multiaxis mouse and disable up and down motion.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Navigate to where you want to be and get as close as you can.

Start to create a placemark by clicking the pushpin icon.

In the placemark's dialog box, click the "View" tab.

Change the number in the "Range" field to 500m.

Then believe it or not, click "Cancel" and you will see yourself zoom out to 500 meters altitude.

Google Earth's placemark dialog box has the range setting in meters regardless of whether you have feet or meters set as your default in Tools --> Options. If you wanted exactly 500 feet, you would need to convert to meters and enter the meters value in the Range field.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post

Then believe it or not, click "Cancel" and you will see yourself zoom out to 500 meters altitude.

Google Earth's placemark dialog box has the range setting in meters regardless of whether you have feet or meters set as your default in Tools --> Options. If you wanted exactly 500 feet, you would need to convert to meters and enter the meters value in the Range field.
    Thank you sir.

Hello GEH forums, my first post here, despite using the application itself since Keyhole times already, but onto the topic...

Thank you Appletom for a good guide, but it does not always work as expected even though it should. A good tip and take no offence but I just felt I had to drop a friendly comment on this one.

Even with 5.1 it snaps close, but at least for me the experience has never been getting it to snap exactly at a specified viewing altitude. Tried several times again just to be sure.

Would be best if you tried too and told me the results you got. I myself tried a lot more, just posting a few. So these are my 10 results from randomly varying altitudes and different regions of the world from Asia to Europe to USA.

• 59.406291░, 24.667883░ range 500m, Eye alt. shows 526m
    • 59.406291░, 24.667883░ range 1000m, Eye alt. shows 1.03km
    • 58.672613░, 104.545033░ range 500m, Eye alt. shows 987m
    • 58.672613░, 104.545033░ range 100m, Eye alt. shows 587m
    • 58.672613░, 104.545033░ range 4000m, Eye alt. shows 4.49km
    • 38.893738░, -77.023902░ range 1000m, Eye alt. shows 1.00km
    • 36.118325░, -113.239947░ range 3000m, Eye alt. shows 4.11km
    • 36.118325░, -113.239947░ range 1000m, Eye alt. shows 2.11km
    • 35.689858░, 139.691831░ range 10000m, Eye alt. shows 10.04km
    • 41.895466░, 12.482324░ range 1500m, Eye alt. shows 1.72km
    Last edited by Appletom; 09-11-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Tried to fix formatting

Aulo - welcome to GEH. (You're late!)

Turn off terrain to duplicate my results.

Don't believe me? Copy this coordinate 32░46'37.88"N, 117░15'15.39"W to go to Mission Beach in San Diego . The default landing is 1.0 KM above ground level. Turn terrain off and back on, your eye altitude remains at exactly 1,000 meters KM.

Leave terrain on, go away and come back - you will still be at 1,000 meters. Turn terrain off, go away and come back - you will still be at 1,000 meters.

Now make sure to keep terrain turned off.

Copy this coordinate - 31░48'0.78"N, 106░23'39.83"W - and paste it into the fly to box in Google Earth. You will find yourself at gate 5A at the El Paso International Airport with a birds eye view of the entire terminal. And your eye altitude will read 1.0 km.

Now turn terrain on. You will see yourself "slam" down to barely above ground level but your eye altitude will go up to 1.21 KM! 1.21 KM translates to 3,969 feet, and El Paso International is listed at 3,917 to 3,959 feet Above Sea Level.

Leaving terrain on, go away and come back. You will find you've "landed" at the same viewing distance as when you landed before, but now your eye altitude shows 2.2 KM.

Summary - when terrain is on, Google Earth's eye altitude represents ASL (Above Sea Level). When terrain is off, Google Earth's eye altitude represents AGL (Above Ground Level).

Thumbs up

Thanks! I believe you and as stated, by all means I hope to be as friendly as always. My post was to find out how come I have never managed to get myself to the desired altitude and now I know why. Your post made everything clear for me and I hope for many other readers as well. Thanks again for taking time and explaining!

I've never quite managed to get to the desired height, and now I know why. The message made it all clear to me, and I hope many other readers.
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 09-21-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Default set eye alt

thank you appletom and aulo for describing all those unspecified tricks and parameters to set eye altitude
    a good example of "hacking"
    maybe it will get specified and simplified in a future release of google earth, but if it works now, don't fix it!

Tryed this with no result
    Tryed turning on and off terain -no result

I am at lat -8.798076 115.117638 and wish to have an altitude of 1000m

Please help , slowing down the mouse wheel is a bitch to match to 1000m

Quote Originally Posted by frazerhurst View Post

Tryed this with no result
    I tried it and came up with 1.01 KM or 999 meters, couldn't get 1,000 meters exactly. So instead of hitting "Cancel", I hit "OK" and it set me at exactly 1,000 meters. Then I just deleted the new placemark I had created and I remained at 1,000 meters.

If it's good enough to be within a meter or so, I'd say to use the button method.

Right-click, now just gently slide yourself into the right altitude. As a note, setting the altitude on a placemark only changes the altitude of the 'icon' and NOT the eye altitude.

However the 'Range' method does work. Note that you're updating RANGE and not altitude. Just tested it out and you can hit Cancel and have it go to that altitude, but I am assuming you want to set a placemark somewhere with that eye altitude. (in that case just hit Ok, but I know that's obvious)
    Last edited by Munden; 05-18-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Thumbs up More thanks...

appletom and aulo: Thanks! Your directions for setting altitude/elevation were spot on!