How to Set Altitude
I am (a total beginner and) trying to set my altitude to exactly 500m. How can I do that?
Thank you for your time and attention
40 views and not a single help.
Thanks a lot.
Probably because we don't know and are wondering ourselves?
Originally Posted by Clan
Only thing that came to mind is to disable scroll (zoom in/out) and thne move around, or use a multiaxis mouse and disable up and down motion.
Navigate to where you want to be and get as close as you can.
Start to create a placemark by clicking the pushpin icon.
In the placemark's dialog box, click the "View" tab.
Change the number in the "Range" field to 500m.
Then believe it or not, click "Cancel" and you will see yourself zoom out to 500 meters altitude.
Google Earth's placemark dialog box has the range setting in meters regardless of whether you have feet or meters set as your default in Tools --> Options. If you wanted exactly 500 feet, you would need to convert to meters and enter the meters value in the Range field.
Thank you sir.
Originally Posted by Appletom
Hello GEH forums, my first post here, despite using the application itself since Keyhole times already, but onto the topic...
Thank you Appletom for a good guide, but it does not always work as expected even though it should. A good tip and take no offence but I just felt I had to drop a friendly comment on this one.
Even with 5.1 it snaps close, but at least for me the experience has never been getting it to snap exactly at a specified viewing altitude. Tried several times again just to be sure.
Would be best if you tried too and told me the results you got. I myself tried a lot more, just posting a few. So these are my 10 results from randomly varying altitudes and different regions of the world from Asia to Europe to USA.
- 59.406291░, 24.667883░ range 500m, Eye alt. shows 526m
- 59.406291░, 24.667883░ range 1000m, Eye alt. shows 1.03km
- 58.672613░, 104.545033░ range 500m, Eye alt. shows 987m
- 58.672613░, 104.545033░ range 100m, Eye alt. shows 587m
- 58.672613░, 104.545033░ range 4000m, Eye alt. shows 4.49km
- 38.893738░, -77.023902░ range 1000m, Eye alt. shows 1.00km
- 36.118325░, -113.239947░ range 3000m, Eye alt. shows 4.11km
- 36.118325░, -113.239947░ range 1000m, Eye alt. shows 2.11km
- 35.689858░, 139.691831░ range 10000m, Eye alt. shows 10.04km
- 41.895466░, 12.482324░ range 1500m, Eye alt. shows 1.72km
Last edited by Appletom; 09-11-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Reason: Tried to fix formatting