Thread: How Can I Stop Constant Zooming Out?

Default How Can I Stop Constant Zooming Out?

GE has started an annoying habit of constantly zooming out.
    I had used it successfully for many months without this problem and it just started a few days ago.
    I can not seem to stop it from zooming and it is making the program unusable.

I tried deleting and re-installing the program. No luck.

Any ideas?

Before this problem started, I had another zoom problem. When using GE with an attached GPS it would constantly zoom IN and I couldn't stop it. I tried both a Garmin and plain NMEA GPS -- same problem.

Any ideas on this (assuming I can stop the zoom out problem first!)

Thanks!!

Have you tried a different mouse by chance, it could be something to do with the scroll wheel on your mouse. That's my guess any way.

No luck with changing the mouse.

Even unplugging the mouse doesn't help.

If I tap the left mouse button or the space bar, it does stop for 3 seconds and they continues zooming out uncontrollably.

The only thing that makes the zooming out stop is when the eye altitude hits maximum!

What could be causing this?

Anyone else with this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
    What could be causing this?

Anyone else with this problem?
    In my four years here I've never heard of this particular problem.

Is there any chance your minus key is stuck? I'm trying to think of all the ways to zoom in/out in Google Earth. + and - keys, scroll wheel, clicking on the zoom bar on screen. Those are the only three I can think of. Well, unless you have the uber-cool Space Navigator.

Oh my!
    Sounds like I have a strange problem here.
    The "-" key is not stuck.
    Zooming out continues unabated.

Any other ideas?????
    Is there any way to set the eye altitude and fix it so it stays put?

We figured out how to lock an altitude here.

Where is Google Earth's altitude when you open it? Mine opens at 6,826.45 miles high.

Can you zoom in at all? If so, are you zooming in with the mouse wheel, the + key or the on screen graphics?

thanks for all the suggestions.
    I tried the "lock the altitude" instructions and it did indeed zoom in to 500m.
    But then, it immediately started zooming out as before.

Yes. I can zoom in using any of the 3 methods. It just doesn't stay for more than 3 seconds --- and starts zooming out again.

Any more ideas?

GE is on the same Lenovo laptop where it has worked up until this week.
    I just can't figure out how to stop the zoom out.

Well, I guess maybe since you say it started last week if your using Windows xp or vista you could try a system restore. Have you installed anything since this occured. i.e. software or hardware

No new stuff installed.

Does it give anyone a hint that if I hit the space bar, the zooming out stops, but only for 4 seconds?

Is there anything GE that happens every 4 seconds?

Is there some other version of GE I could download? -- I have GE 5.0.11733.9347 from May 5, 2009 with OpenGL Renderer.

I once bought a GE Pro License. But I think that no longer is active, right?

Another "timing" question.
    There's a time line in the upper left corner of the screen.
    I can't turn it off. Is it indicitive of some active timing function that might be related to the zooming?

I don't think the time line would affect your zooming. But you are using a computer and computers are well kn own for doing bizarre things.

To turn the time line off, click the little clock icon at the top of the screen. And/or click the little sun icon next to the clock - they both put time sliders on your screen

Quote Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
    GE has started an annoying habit of constantly zooming out.
    I had used it successfully for many months without this problem and it just started a few days ago.
    I can not seem to stop it from zooming and it is making the program unusable.

I tried deleting and re-installing the program. No luck.

Any ideas?

Before this problem started, I had another zoom problem. When using GE with an attached GPS it would constantly zoom IN and I couldn't stop it. I tried both a Garmin and plain NMEA GPS -- same problem.

Any ideas on this (assuming I can stop the zoom out problem first!)

Thanks!!
    It appears that you are expected to intuitively know the ins and outs of these programs. Simple explanations are mostly not forthcoming. Having got more an more irritated by not being able to lock a zoom level or even preventing the GE picture from return to my location/start point, I finally discovered that it was caused by my Placemarks.

Go. View/Sidebar look at Places, scroll down. Deselect any selected Placemarks or Start Location.
    Then hopefully the image will stay where you zoom and scroll too and give you time to play with it!
    Good Luck