Thread: needing some help

Default needing some help

I have found out that there is a Indian mound close to where I live, nobody can tell me exactly where it is, just that it's at least 50 feet high and close to the river. I'm looking to see if I can get a topo map of my area that might show the mound in the land elevation.would a topo map show this. I know where about it is located but not exactly. thanks for any help.

Super Moderator

Forkboy2 made a file with top maps of the USA. It's very good, so I guess it can help you.

http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile320...aphic-Maps.htm

Try setting the elevation exaggeration in Google Earth to 3 then looking for it. A mound like that might then show up a bit better.

Appreciate the help. If I find it I will post pictures as well as file for it. It strikes me odd that something of this size and historical significance and nobody knows anything about it. It seems to me that people should know about the history of where they live and the land they live one.

"It strikes me odd that something of this size and historical significance and nobody knows anything about it."

A couple of things -

On most maps, 50 feet isn't that big. However, this mound probably shows up of at least a few maps but, chances are, it's not labeled.

Speaking as an archaeologist, let me tell you - plenty of people know all about that site. They're just not talking about it. There are several reasons for this, first and foremost being respect for the descendants of the people who built the mound. A close second would probably be a fear of looters. Looting is probably the biggest problem facing modern archaeology - unfortunately, many Native artifacts have a street value.

If you really want to find this mound, just find a local archaeologist (a nearby university should have one or two) and ask. They probably know about it (or know someone who knows), and you might be able to convince them to tell you about it.
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.