Thread: Need Some Help Not Sure What To DO.

Question Need Some Help Not Sure What To DO.

Hello i am new to the forum but i am trying to figure out the best way to display some data from and excel file.

first off what i am looking at is an excel file for a pipeline with mile post

we have to fill out forms that show alot of data on a few different sheets
    what i plan to to is link to the excel sheet with hyperlink so you can open the excel file in google webpage.

what i am not sure on is how to represent the the data visually
    i have inspectors that go out every day and walk from mile post to mile post and write up one report for the whole day.
    in this report there might also be a sheet that shows problem areas on the pipeline.
    and another sheet that shows photos

i would like to streamline a process for creating a kml file for these areas to link them to the excel sheet.

i might imput some more information about this later until that time if you have any sudjestions please let me know.

Does your spreadsheet have the lat/lon of each mile post?

Matt
    Matt Fox

the mile post are already set so they have lat and long to start with
    in the form they use chainage which tells how many miles post they went to

Quote Originally Posted by bsims1229 View Post
    the mile post are already set so they have lat and long to start with
    in the form they use chainage which tells how many miles post they went to
    One way or another you'd have to have the lat/lon of every point along the pipeline that you'd want to associate data. So if your inspector found a problem at Mile 3.25, you'd need to know the lat/lon of that point if you wanted to show it on a map.

Before you can even think about how to display the data, you need to figure out how you will collect it. Seems like you'd need to equip your inspectors with a GPS data logger. Then the inspector could carry that with them while they do the inspection. If they find a problem, they would just need to write down the time that they found the problem. The data logger could then be used to associate a lat/lon with each problem and each photograph. Then you could put that info into a database and display it on a map.
    Matt Fox