Thread: Google Earth Slow Downloading on Fast Connection

Default Google Earth Slow Downloading on Fast Connection

I have 10Mb Cable and can download at approximately 1.2MB/sec on a good server. With this in mind, why is Google Earth so slow at downloading things like 360 and streetview images? Is Google Earth not using all my connection? It is free to if it wants...My dad has 4MB ADSL and although Google Earth is slower on his PC than mine, the difference isn't much at all.

Is it possible to pre-download all images in an area onto hard drive before viewing it in Google Earth?
    Last edited by gohan2091; 08-18-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Anyone?

Any slowness is probably due to the huge amount of data the Google Earth server farm is throwing around. Sometimes mine runs just fine, and other times it is slower than I'd prefer.

Obviously the top-down imagery will stay in the cache. I don't know if the Street View images are included in that cache or not though. There might be someone else who knows that better than I.

Quote Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
    Is it possible to pre-download all images in an area onto hard drive before viewing it in Google Earth?
    First of all - Welcome to GEH!

Sorry gohan2091, I saw your query and ignored it hoping someone wiser than myself would answer. Munden is and did.

You can't "pre-load" all the imagery in an area, but the areas you view will be in a cache, so the second time you view them they should be coming up faster.

And Spider is our resident expert on street view, so he will probably able to tell us if street view imagery goes to the cache.

Thanks both of you and I look forward to hearing from Spider if he chooses to reply.

I am just troubled because I can download at a maximum speed of approximately 1.2MB/sec and the areas I am downloading should be coming in within 5 seconds fully detailed I would expect.

Those red round 360 icons are incredibly slow to load in, and when an area of those 360 does load in fully, as soon as you pan around to an area that was off screen, it then attempts to load that part of the 360... why doesn't the 360 all load in at once? I could open a 360, come back in an hour and as soon as I move over to a new area within that 360, it would start loading that area.

The 360 images probably don't load entirely immediately because it loads the ones you can see first. That sounds a LOT slower than anything I've ever seen on my system I admit. My Street View images are fairly quick to load.

If you have lots of network placemarks that are making connections (such as that one for satellite positions or even the Google Earth Hacks network placemarks) this might cause more slowness. The only network placemarks I generally use are the GEH ones, and I do notice a bit of a difference when even that small one is running.

Quote Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
    Thanks both of you and I look forward to hearing from Spider if he chooses to reply.

Those red round 360 icons are incredibly slow to load in, and when an area of those 360 does load in fully, as soon as you pan around to an area that was off screen, it then attempts to load that part of the 360... why doesn't the 360 all load in at once? I could open a 360, come back in an hour and as soon as I move over to a new area within that 360, it would start loading that area.
    It won't load the entire image because they can be huge images. Instead it loads only what you want to see. That is by design. I can zoom in to a 360 image and pan around no problem. When I click on red icon, the image has loaded before it's done zooming in and only takes about 1-2 seconds to update the imagery when I pan around. So sounds like an issue on your end.
    Matt Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    And Spider is our resident expert on street view, so he will probably able to tell us if street view imagery goes to the cache.
    It doesn't. At least, I don't think it does. I looked back at street views I know I've visited recently and they loaded at the same speed as views I've never seen before. This is so for both viewing within Google Earth and Google Maps.

Also, what "red icon"?

On a note, I would suggest first viewing any StreetViews you're interested in via Google Maps...it'll load faster and will be easier to navigate between different views. When you find something interesting or what you're looking for, then look at it via Google Earth.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶