Thread: Spatial resolution ?

Default Spatial resolution ?

Hi,

I am currently working on G.E. images from the West Indian coast. I use Quickbird 2002 > 2009 images (so 2.4m pan-sharpened to 0.6-0.7m) but the resolution in this area is way worst than that, probably because of a “security” filter from the Indian gov (don’t know the exact process…) on the whole west cost (about 80km width). Except this bad resolution, my problem is that I need to know the spatial resolution of the images I am working on (for the processing…), so anybody knows how I could get this info? (any idea, tip, trick, opinion that could help me find out...)

With regards,

P.

I don't understand your question. Are you trying to find out the actual meters/pixel of the images in GE? I don't see how that would be possible.
    Matt Fox

Nowhere in India you get that sort of resolution in GE.

All India is covered by Satellite imageries only and not by aircraft ( as is the case with US and several other countries ).

BTW which area are U exactly interested in ( so that security aspect can be known ) ... I have not seen any masking in Indian images.

SSSALVI : Well Quickbird is a satellite and do provide this resolution... don't really understand your point .. concerning the security related stuff (not a mask but maybe a downgraded resolution), i'm not even sure there is one, but the resolution of comparable quickbird images (e.g. compared to some amazonian pictures) seems worst in India (example of indian area i'm interested in : 12°34'26.88"N 75°39'46.11"E).

Forkboy2 : I don't see how either, but i would love to

Thanks for your comments.

What makes you think that is Quickbird imagery at 2.4m pan-sharpened to 0.6-0.7m in Google Earth at 12°34'26.88"N 75°39'46.11"E?? To my untrained eye, that area looks like about 1.5 to 2 meters/pixel.
    Matt Fox

When you activate the option "more" (bottom left), you can see the pics with there references.. the area is more or less covered by QuickB from 2002 to 2009. The last pic of 2°34'26.88"N 75°39'46.11"E have been taken in 2005. Moreover one told me that the quality of the original QB pics are just slightly better than in GE. But as you notice, the quality is not that good in the area (compared to a bit to the Est for example, you can find some more detailed pics), that why i'm interested in quantifying "how much worst" (i do need to know, at least get an accurate idea, of the spatial reso...)!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro P. View Post
    When you activate the option "more" (bottom left), you can see the pics with there references.. the area is more or less covered by QuickB from 2002 to 2009. The last pic of 2°34'26.88"N 75°39'46.11"E have been taken in 2005. Moreover one told me that the quality of the original QB pics are just slightly better than in GE. But as you notice, the quality is not that good in the area (compared to a bit to the Est for example, you can find some more detailed pics), that why i'm interested in quantifying "how much worst" (i do need to know, at least get an accurate idea, of the spatial reso...)!
    Those references to image dates and sources are just there in case you want to order an image from one of Google's data partners. They have nothing to do with what you are actually looking at in Google Earth. You can sometimes figure out the source by looking at the copyright notice at the bottom center as you pan around. But there isn't any easy way of figuring out the data of the imagery.
    Matt Fox