Thread: what is [file>save>save my places] good for ? They are auto-saved anyway ...

Question what is [file>save>save my places] good for ? They are auto-saved anyway ...

Hi folks.

Could any of you explain to me what file>save>save my places is good for ? Because if I *DON'T* do this, exit GE and start it the next day, I see that the changes I had done were (apparently) saved silently, not discarded. So if "my places" are always saved automatically, then what is "save my places" good for ? What does it do exactly ? What's the difference between "save my places" and just exiting the program (the result is the same for me) ?

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by boarders paradise; 09-07-2009 at 06:26 PM.

If I understand you correctly. It's for you to be able to save your place into somewhere like my documents or another folder so that you can upload to this site for sharing or just doing a backup. When you save your files to a folder on your computer they will be a .kmz or .kml file

thanks for helping!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    If I understand you correctly. It's for you to be able to save your place into somewhere like my documents or another folder ...
    I don't have the impression... When you click on "save my places", no dialogue window pops up for choosing a directory (and it is not intented for that anyway, because in that case the menu item would be named "save my places ..." and not "save my places").

... so that you can upload to this site for sharing
    What do you mean? Nobody has access to "my documents" or any other folder on my HDD. Why would you think that [file>save>save my places] is meant for sharing? I don't understand you, sorry ...
    Last edited by boarders paradise; 09-07-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Welcome to GEH boarders paradise!

Quote Originally Posted by boarders paradise View Post
    Could any of you explain to me what [file>save>save my places] is good for ?
    Good question and I have no idea on the answer. By using the time stamp and search, AFAICT no file is saved when executing the file>save>save my places command.

Default slur flonal

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    Welcome to GEH boarders paradise!
    thank you, I appreciate that.

Good question and I have no idea on the answer. By using the time stamp and search, AFAICT no file is saved when executing the file>save>save my places command.
    Good observation. You know, the command would make sense, if there were *NO* automatic saving.

Let's take an example. Consider a Word document. You can either save the changes by file>>save or if you don't and try to exit the program, you are asked if you want to save the changes.

But with GE, I have the impression, that changes are instantaneously saved in the very second you modify "my places" ... it's like a continous-always-up-to-date-thing ...
    So bearing this in mind, plus the fact, that you are *not* asked whether or not you want to save/discard changes when exiting the program, I really cannot think of any sense file>save>save my places makes. And it's a pitty, that there is *no* real help file that comes along with GE. Would only take a couple of kb ...

This particular menu item forces a save of your My Places directory. If you've been working hard making changes you can use this to make certain your changes are saved.

Believe me I use it a lot after power flickers have blown away a LOT of changes in the past.

Edit: to be clear, it does NOT save to a new file. It saves to your default "myplaces.kml" file. (the file loaded when you open GE)

thanks. I feel we get closer to what's really happening now.

So you mean, that this command forces ... something that GE does anyway later on ... ? But *when* does GE save my places automatically ?

The only time I can say for certain that it does a save is when you quit. I don't know for certain if it quietly does any interim saves or not.

thank you for all your insights.

Your explanation was the most plausible for me, Munden. I guess what I will do henceforth, is saving regularly ... until I find out what's done in the background exactly. Regarding the latter, feel invited to post here, if you come across any further information, please.

And thank you for all your help so far.

It does not save automatically until you quit. Want to see for yourself. Make a change to My Places. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and end the GoogleEarth task. Restart GE, and the change you made previously will not be there.

Matt
    Matt Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Forkboy2 View Post
    It does not save automatically until you quit. Want to see for yourself. Make a change to My Places. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and end the GoogleEarth task. Restart GE, and the change you made previously will not be there. Matt
    Yes, I already tried that some 30 minutes ago out of curiousity. That's true.

would be kewl to set an autosave interval in the GE options ...