Thread: Google Earth's advantages over competitors ?

Question Google Earth's advantages over competitors ?

Hi. Do you know if there are other virtual globe apps with better resolution ? And if yes, what advantages does GE have over them (except for the resolution of course) ? Thank you.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by boarders paradise View Post
    Hi. Do you know if there are other virtual globe apps with better resolution ?
    There are other virtual globes but I haven't looked at locations to compare them (to answer your second question).

These are:

Yahoo Maps: http://maps.yahoo.com/

and

Bing Maps: http://www.bing.com/maps/

Bing Maps also have the feature Birds Eye View for several cities around the world also making sights more clearer.

But I found this site comparing Bing Maps and Google Maps
    http://www.jonasson.org/maps/

I hope this helps you a little.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Sorry in case there was a misunderstanding, but to me it seems as if you are talking about websites, whereas I was talking about desktop applications. Sorry if that was unclear ?

I don't know of any other virtual globe applications. What are you asking us to compare Google Earth to?

(BTW, in American English the phrase "Thanks a lot" does not mean "Thank You" in any way, shape or form. "Thanks a lot" is actually a sarcastic reply with meanings ranging from from "I wish you hadn't" all the way to "FU". It depends on the tone of voice and the item/thought being replied to. Impossible to explain, but you don't want to say "Thanks a lot" to an American.)

World Wind is another virtual globe application. It's been a while since I've used it, so I can't really give you a comparison, but I remember it as being a powerful and worthwhile program.
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.

World Wind is one. ESRI also has one and there are several others. It's not really fair to limit discussion to Desktop applications, when Bing Maps will run in 3D (similar to Google Earth), but just inside browser window.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to each of them. Here are just a few....

Advantages of GE - Largest user base, best support for KML, most imagery, historical imagery, easiest to add 3rd party content, only one with Street View, has a lot of extra layers by default.

Disadvantages of GE - Not open source. Doesn't display road names very well. Doesn't have a maps layer by default. Doesn't have Microsoft's Birds Eye imagery. The Layers and Places menu's need a new interface.
    Matt Fox

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    (BTW, in American English the phrase "Thanks a lot" does not mean "Thank You" in any way, shape or form. "Thanks a lot" is actually a sarcastic reply with meanings ranging from from "I wish you hadn't" all the way to "FU". It depends on the tone of voice and the item/thought being replied to. Impossible to explain, but you don't want to say "Thanks a lot" to an American.)
    I am pretty sure he or she doesn't want to say FU to anyone of us. He/she wanted to say "thank you". And thank you for that not unimportant hint; even I wasn't aware of the little difference.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

I know he didn't. I believe boarders paradise is from Austria.

I don't know about any virtual apps.Thanks for inform us.