Thread: A nice little change with GE 5.1

Default A nice little change with GE 5.1

They changed the behavior with image resolution and how far you zoom in. Until recently if you zoomed in 'too far' the imagery would suddenly switch to imagery of a higher resolution (if there was any) as long as it was older.

Now, if you're on an image, it won't try to shift around.

Also previously if you zoomed in too far on a location it wouldn't show imagery that was 'too low' of a resolution for how far you'd zoomed. That's also changed and you can zoom in to whatever level you like and ALL images show up on the history slider.

I was really hoping they'd do this. I disliked the older behavior.

Google appears to have messed with how Networks Link with 5.1 release. The following file is a valid URL. But for some reason I can't get it to load via a network link in GE 5.1. But other files load fine with Network Links...

Anyone have any clue what might be going on?

http://www.topomaparchive.com/maps/T...3/o34083a2.kmz
    Matt Fox

That loaded ok for me. If you are referring to the fact that your computer doesn't correctly associate the file with Google Earth that's actuall the problem of the website. Websites have to set up a MIME type for KMZ and KML files so that a browser will correctly understand what it is and call up Google Earth.

I forgot when I put up some files a while back in a directory on a site. A .htaccess file must be created with these entries:

AddType application/vnd.google-earth.kml+xml kml
    AddType application/vnd.google-earth.kmz kmz

Matt - When I click the link, I get a single kmz download and when I open it in Google Earth it is not a network link file, but an overlay file.

Yes I know it will load in Google Earth. But try this. Start Google Earth. Click Add|Network Link. Paste the URL below

http://www.topomaparchive.com/maps/T...3/o34083a2.kmz

Into the Link box of the network link you just created. It should open the file. But it doesn't. They changed something, not sure what.

Matt
    Matt Fox

Ok....I think I've figured out what's going on. It appears that Google has changed it so GE won't load KMZ files via network links if they are over a certain size. I think they set the limit to around 1 megabyte.
    Matt Fox

Default Using Google Earth is great......

Hey!! I used Google Earth once. And I saw my lane and my house by zooming. It was a great experience