Thread: Custome Icons - saving with kmz file

Smile Custome Icons - saving with kmz file

I have located 100+ gif icons in a folder on my desktop. I am successfully using these icons in GE.

Two questions...

1. Can I re-point GE to these icons if a I move them to a new location (e.g., C:\Users\Lee\Documents\GE Customer Icons)?

2. How can I include these custom icons in a kmz file to share with others?

Thanks for the help.

See if this thread will help.

Thanks. I did look at that thread before I posted but that thread is talking about modifying or replacing existing GE placemark icons (png files) and I'm trying to add 100+ gif files. GE allows you to use gif files but I can't find any documentation on how to manage these gif files and how to make these gif files available with a kmz file so I can share with others.

What I'm doing is identifying certain college sport teams around the country with a gif logo of the team. It would not be practical to replace an existing GE placemark icon everytime I want to want to add another team logo.

Any thoughts? I sure could use some help.

I did figure out how to do this once, it was this file. See if you can reverse engineer how I got the icon to be a basketball. If not, maybe I can try to figure it out this weekend.

I'm not exactly sure of where you are here. You said you were 'using them in GE' so I will assume you've set the placemarks as custom placemark icons.

As far as #2 goes:

When you save a placemark, GE will grab any local image files and save them into the KMZ. This applies to custom icons as much as it does to an overlay file. Now they can just move your placemark into their My Places area. If they restart GE they'll notice that the application has moved the image tile into their GE application directory automatically.

It's that simple. The Google Earth application might get cluttered, but not everyone even bothers to look at it.

(edit to note I'm addressing question #2)
    Last edited by Munden; 09-16-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Thank you. You are correct. My custom icons did travel with the kmz file.

Thanks again for the help.

Lee

P.S. What is the file path for the "GE application directory" that you mentioned?

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Google\Google Earth

Where the UserName is whatever login you use on your machine. If you don't it's probably either 'Default User'

It's the same directory your default 'myplaces.kml' file is located.