Thread: Administrator: Denied file submissions: questions as to why

Question Administrator: Denied file submissions: questions as to why

I submitted three files over the last couple days. One of them was of the Coors Brewery in Colorado, and another was of a prison in Oregon.

They were denied because they pointed to a nuclear facility in N.Korea (which I may have been looking at previously). Now, when I created the above files, the screen was set at the two locations mentioned. What did I do wrong to have the settings for North Korea saved in the files instead of the desired locations?

Also, the third file I submitted was an overlay of Stonhenge. I found an Overlay file on this website, then found an aerial image taken in 1907 and lined it up over the previous overlay. Even though the roads did not match up (I'm sure things like that change in a hundred years), the stones matched up perfectly. When I check the file now, the original overlay is gone, and only mine is there, why is that? And is it possible that when the file was saved, my overlay somehow got out of alignment, because it was perfect before I saved it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brewer
    Now, when I created the above files, the screen was set at the two locations mentioned. What did I do wrong to have the settings for North Korea saved in the files instead of the desired locations?
    When you save a placemarker, the best way to do it is to right-click the placemarker in the "Places" diectory in the left (don't use the File menu on the top as this may create the problem you described). Select "Save as" and give a unique name to it. The current view on the main screen is irrelevant to this.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer
    When I check the file now, the original overlay is gone, and only mine is there, why is that? And is it possible that when the file was saved, my overlay somehow got out of alignment, because it was perfect before I saved it.
    Each overlay is saved as an individual kmz file, so one for the original and one for the new one you created. So when you re-opened the new kmz file it only contains the new overlay. You can save two overlays as one kmz files but you need to place them into one folder in the "Places" directory and save the folder as described above. To create a folder in "Places" right-click "My Places" and select New>Folder.

Hope this helps.

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

This thread was moved to this forum from "Site Issues and Questions" as it deals specifically with using Google Earth.

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

thanks for the help.

Default snapshot

Using view snapshot might be a way to preserve the exact details
    of latitude/longitude/tilt, etc. which might be slightly different than
    what you thought for some reason, when you created the placemark.

Snapshot is in the edit placemark
    dialog box/view tab, if I'm remembering right, or also in the place-pin
    menu (lower right).
    Last edited by rvbooth; 08-23-2005 at 09:42 PM.
    RVB

Not quite correct, last post.
    To re-edit the placemark, right-click on icon:
    1st entry is edit which gives you the edit dialog.
    In that dialog, check advanced, then go to
    view tab, which has a button for snapshot.
    More easily, when you get the view just right,
    use right-mouse click, 2nd entry which is snapshot.
    RVB