Thread: File popularity on "My Files" Page

Default File popularity on "My Files" Page

Can you add a column for file popularity rating on the "My Files" page please? Maybe drop the "Comments" column..I feel that is the one I use least and is kind of pointless to begin with.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    Can you add a column for file popularity rating on the "My Files" page please? Maybe drop the "Comments" column..I feel that is the one I use least and is kind of pointless to begin with.
    Good call. Done!

Also, congrats are in order -- you're the first person whose submitted files have been downloaded over a million times.

http://www.gearthhacks.com/userfiles.php?user=43979

Nice work!

Talking

How is File popularity calculated?

Edit: Well I suppose it's classified, and no problem with that. Some secrets are best being kept as secrets
    Last edited by T.Dooley; 10-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    you're the first person whose submitted files have been downloaded over a million times.
    Way to go Spider!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    you're the first person whose submitted files have been downloaded over a million times.
    I'd wish you had a dollar for every download Since I don't expect that you got that, please accept my congratulation and thanks for many great files
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

Thanks everyone!!!
    It's been so much fun all these...woah...1363 days!
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Concrats Spider for the 1st Million, lets take the next one.

PS: I will soon reach the 2000 files point and 1 Million downloads.
    You search it, I will find it!

Would you consider starting 'popularity rating' with 1 (and not zero) as the lowest. It's so depressing to see (mine and others) files with zero popularity

It seems like part of popularity rating is depending on the file being clicked recently. IMHO popularity rating is more a calculation of downloads/clicks divided with the days the file has existed, maybe minor corrected so that newer downloads count a bit more than 'old' downloads.

I would suggest that a new rating is added. It could be called 'Hot' and should rate file only from very recent activity/click/download. This would show a much more dynamic list and let old files get back to the top from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dooley View Post
    I would suggest that a new rating is added. It could be called 'Hot' and should rate file only from very recent activity/click/download. This would show a much more dynamic list and let old files get back to the top from time to time.
    That's kind of how the popularity rating already works. It runs at midnight each night and does the following:
    -- Clicks from the previous day / 2
    -- Clicks from all days prior to that / 3
    -- Add them together.

Throughout the day, each download adds to that number. For example, suppose the pop rating of a file was 60. During the day it got 20 more clicks, raising the value to 80.

At midnight, the script would run:
    -- Total from day (20/2) = 10
    -- Previous total (60/3) = 20
    -- New pop rating = 30

It weighs a lot for the daily visits, but retains a bit of it over time.

I'm certainly open to any suggested tweaks.