Thread: Need help!

Hybrid View

Question Need help!

I'm hoping somebody on here is a linux user. I need some help.

Today I logged into Gos which is ubuntu based and my screen resolution had changed to a higher resolution. When I went to go change it the screen changed to where I can't see what I'm doing.

I'm trying to figure out how I could change to screen resolution within the terminal. I can still see the log in screen and change the session to failsafe terminal. I just can't find or figure out the correct syntax to change to screen resolution. I am somewhat a novice to linux, and enjoying more than windows.

If anybody can help or point me in the right direction I would be most appreciated and would be in debt to you, cause I don't want to reinstall it to fix it. Thank you.

Hi

I'm not a Linux power user but I believe you can try using the command xrandr

without parameters it gives you the supported resolutions, and you can set the resolution using:

xrandr -s <resolution index from the resolutions list>
    or
    xrandr -s <x_res>*<y_res>

if you need more informations take a look at
    man xrandr
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

Thanks was able to get it resolved. Had issues with getting the syntax just right. Not a big linux user but I'm starting to like it. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    ...starting to like it...
    Glad you got it right. Agree the "never forgiving" strict syntax is maybe one of the hardest part of being a linux/unix user, linux/unix is a great operating system getting better and better on the desktop, by every release :-)
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen